Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ronald Park <ro...@cnet.com> on 2008/02/21 20:29:16 UTC

mod_proxy / ProxyTimeout fix 2.0.63

Hi Folks,

After fumbling up a previous attempt to send in this patch,
I'm going to try again, making sure to attach the patch this
time. :)

The following patch makes mod_proxy truly use ProxyTimeout
for the actual sending and receiving of the proxied request;
as it's currently implemented, it uses ProxyTimeout when
attempting the connection to the origin server *but* uses
the value of Timeout for sending and receiving the proxied
request.

Since mod_proxy introduced entirely new timeout handling in
2.2, I have not determined if this problem still exists or
is even relevant in that branch.  However, I do think the
behavior in the 2.0 line at least does not match the document
for how ProxyTimeout is expected to work:

> This directive allows a user to specifiy a timeout on proxy requests.
> This is useful when you have a slow/buggy appserver which hangs, and
> you would rather just return a timeout and fail gracefully instead of
> waiting however long it takes the server to return.

Thanks,
Ron

Re: mod_proxy / ProxyTimeout fix 2.0.63

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Thanks for the patch. I'll review this as well as see if
2.2 is affected...

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Looking over this, I see that ap_proxy_connect_to_backend() sets
the socket timeout to conf->timeout already...