Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/09 14:11:26 UTC

Why Solrj Default Format is XML Rather than Javabin?

Hi;

When I index documents via Solrj it sends documents as XML. Solr processes
it with XMLLoader. Then sends response as javabin format.

Why Solrj client does not send data as javabin format as default?

PS: I use Solr 4.5.1

Thanks;
Furlan KAMACI

Re: Why Solrj Default Format is XML Rather than Javabin?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/9/2014 6:11 AM, Furkan KAMACI wrote:
> When I index documents via Solrj it sends documents as XML. Solr processes
> it with XMLLoader. Then sends response as javabin format.
>
> Why Solrj client does not send data as javabin format as default?
>
> PS: I use Solr 4.5.1

I do not know the history here.  There was probably a good reason at one
time, and it's stayed like that because of inertia -- when things work,
changing them is risky.

It is easy to change when you use SolrJ, if you're using HttpSolrServer.

server.setRequestWriter(new BinaryRequestWriter());

I believe that in newer versions, CloudSolrServer actually does use
BinaryRequestWriter by default.

Thanks,
Shawn