Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ni...@uk.pwcglobal.com on 2001/01/23 16:31:02 UTC

Struts and Weblogic 6.0

Memo from Nic Hobbs of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi All,

I know there have been many threads over the last few months concerning Weblogic
5.1 and Struts and also WLS 6.0, particularly with respect to the example
application.

Could someone let me know what the situation is with this now? I.e. Is there an
intention to make the example app work on WLS 6.0 and are there any aspects of
struts that will not work on WLS 6.0 as a result of the serialization issues
(and where are we with these too!). What is the situation with the change of the
properties to use XML, properties files and database for storing
internationalised strings?

Any information would be gratefully received as we are currently evaluating
using struts but Weblogic has already been chosen as the target platform.

TIA,

Nic

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please

Re: Struts and Weblogic 6.0

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
nic.hobbs@uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> Memo from Nic Hobbs of PricewaterhouseCoopers
>
> -------------------- Start of message text --------------------
>
> Hi All,
>
> I know there have been many threads over the last few months concerning Weblogic
> 5.1 and Struts and also WLS 6.0, particularly with respect to the example
> application.
>
> Could someone let me know what the situation is with this now? I.e. Is there an
> intention to make the example app work on WLS 6.0 and are there any aspects of
> struts that will not work on WLS 6.0 as a result of the serialization issues
> (and where are we with these too!). What is the situation with the change of the
> properties to use XML, properties files and database for storing
> internationalised strings?
>
> Any information would be gratefully received as we are currently evaluating
> using struts but Weblogic has already been chosen as the target platform.

There is still at least one issue on my plate -- although MessageResources has been
made Serializable, one of the instance variable classes it depends on
(MessageResourcesFactory) is not.  I need to ensure that things still work correctly
by making the factory class Serializable as well.  This will be fixed soon.

Other than that, I am not personally aware of any issues with regards to running
Struts based apps under the WebLogic 6.0 beta server.

> TIA,
>
> Nic

Craig McClanahan

Re: Struts and Weblogic 6.0

Posted by Thierry Cools <th...@s1.com>.
Hi,
I'm currently buzy to migrate an application working on Tomcat to Weblogic 6.0

The problems with the PropertyMessageRessource class is not yet solved, but Craig confirmed me some days ago that he was working on it.
Anyway, even if that problem still exist, it is possible to use Struts with webLogic 6.0, by doing the small modifications in MessageRessourceFactory ( it must be Serializable and  de setPrintWriter must initialize the printWriter to null ).

Otherwise I didn't had others problems ( I don't really know about the datasource problem, since I'm using an EJB implementation). except for small context path problems.

Thierry

Thierry Cools

Senior Java Developer
S1 Brussels