Posted to users@directory.apache.org by PGNet Dev <pg...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/27 05:25:21 UTC

ApacheDS beginner's installation questions

hi,

i'm trying my 1st install of apache directory server/studio.

i've installed the server on a headless, openSUSE Xen DomU. i used the
'binary' installer.  nice-n-easy; currently, the service is
up-n-running.  is there amy reason/advantage to have used the .rpm
instead?

i'm continuing to stumble thru the discovery of docs, and having a
time of it :-/

finding info's a bit of a challenge so far -- as such, i have a couple
of rank-beginner questions. (if any/all are answered somewhere, a
pointer'd be very helpful!)

refers to IRC channels:

  Users IRC channel : #apache-directory @ irc://irc.freenode.net
  Developers IRC channel : #apache-directory-dev @ irc://irc.freenode.net

on freenode, however, i can find no trace of either channel.  are the
moved? broken? dead?

(2) i've installed the standalone Studio (v1.5.4) on a lan box (OSX),
and can connect to the remote server (@ the DomU).

reading @ http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/141-configuration-of-apacheds-with-spring.html,
suggests that to edit/modify configuration i need the SpringIDE.   is
that still the case?

if so, can I install the SpringIDE (an eclipse plugin, right?) in the
standalone Studio?  or do I have to install the "full" Eclipse?

(3) when I use Studio on the LAN box, is is storing config/data/etc
_locally_ or on the server?  if the latter, _where_ in the directory
structure are they saved?

(4) my goal is to be able to remotely administer the Server, config etc.

iiuc, that either requires

 (a) a locally-installed instance of Studio on each/every box i use to
administer
 (b) a full X11 env on the server, served via, e.g., VNC to a remote box
 (c) a web-administration capability.  _does_ Studio have one?  or
must something like phpldapadmin be setup/used?

help's appreciated!

thanks.

Re: ApacheDS beginner's installation questions

Posted by PGNet Dev <pg...@gmail.com>.
hi,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may find this page helpful
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/apacheds-v15-basic-users-guide.html

thanks.

> Please feel free to post your questions(if any) here on ML.

"if any"?  funny guy ... ;-)

aha.  -> http://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx11/configuration-in-dit-cidit.html

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.

PGNet Dev wrote:
> kiran,
>
> are there up-to-date docs _somewhere_?
there are some docs but are mainly related to architecture and ot doher implementation level ideas
You may find this page helpful http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/apacheds-v15-basic-users-guide.html

Please feel free to post your questions(if any) here on ML.

>>> on freenode, however, i can find no trace of either channel.  are the  moved? broken? dead?
>> No. These channels are active and you can find us there :)
>
> hrm.  really?  i'm logged on tp freenode at the moment ... i see 5424
> channels, but _not_ these :-/

try /join #apache-directory , you will find me with nick 'ayyagari'

--
Kiran Ayyagari

Re: ApacheDS beginner's installation questions

Posted by PGNet Dev <pg...@gmail.com>.
kiran,

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> is there amy reason/advantage to have used the .rpm instead?
> AFAIK, not much, you can use RPM command for managing an .rpm bundle/package

ok

>> i'm continuing to stumble thru the discovery of docs, and having a time of it :-/
> most of the doco on the website are outdated, sorry for that.

are there up-to-date docs _somewhere_?

>> on freenode, however, i can find no trace of either channel.  are the  moved? broken? dead?
> No. These channels are active and you can find us there :)

hrm.  really?  i'm logged on tp freenode at the moment ... i see 5424
channels, but _not_ these :-/

>> suggests that to edit/modify configuration i need the SpringIDE.   is that still the case?
> NO, not required

great, thx.

>> (3) when I use Studio on the LAN box, is is storing config/data/etc _locally_ or on the server?  if the latter,
>>  _where_ in the directory structure are they saved?
> it is stored in a directory named '.ApacheDirectoryStudio' under user's home
> directory on
> the system where Studio was installed

ah.  which is an issue for me, per the next question ...

>> (4) my goal is to be able to remotely administer the Server, config etc.

(snip)

seems like remote copy is my friend for now.  remote admin of configs
-- on the server -- would be nice, eventually ...

> HTH
> --
> Kiran Ayyagari

it does. thanks!

Re: ApacheDS beginner's installation questions

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.

PGNet Dev wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm trying my 1st install of apache directory server/studio.
>
> i've installed the server on a headless, openSUSE Xen DomU. i used the
> 'binary' installer.  nice-n-easy; currently, the service is
> up-n-running.  is there amy reason/advantage to have used the .rpm
> instead?

AFAIK, not much, you can use RPM command for managing an .rpm bundle/package

> i'm continuing to stumble thru the discovery of docs, and having a
> time of it :-/
most of the doco on the website are outdated, sorry for that.

> refers to IRC channels:
>
>   Users IRC channel : #apache-directory @ irc://irc.freenode.net
>   Developers IRC channel : #apache-directory-dev @ irc://irc.freenode.net
>
> on freenode, however, i can find no trace of either channel.  are the
> moved? broken? dead?

No. These channels are active and you can find us there :)

> (2) i've installed the standalone Studio (v1.5.4) on a lan box (OSX),
> and can connect to the remote server (@ the DomU).
>
> reading @ http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/141-configuration-of-apacheds-with-spring.html,
> suggests that to edit/modify configuration i need the SpringIDE.   is
> that still the case?
NO, not required

> (3) when I use Studio on the LAN box, is is storing config/data/etc
> _locally_ or on the server?  if the latter, _where_ in the directory
> structure are they saved?
it is stored in a directory named '.ApacheDirectoryStudio' under user's home directory on
the system where Studio was installed

> (4) my goal is to be able to remotely administer the Server, config etc.

hmmm, I don't think you can edit the remote server's configuration. But you can edit a configuration file
through Studio and export the changes back to server manually (e.x scp the file)

> iiuc, that either requires
>
>  (a) a locally-installed instance of Studio on each/every box i use to
> administer

this is an option but might be a overkill.
>  (b) a full X11 env on the server, served via, e.g., VNC to a remote box
X11 is not required if you can export the modified configuration file using scp or some other means

>  (c) a web-administration capability.  _does_ Studio have one?
NO

   or
> must something like phpldapadmin be setup/used?

no idea about this tool

> help's appreciated!
>
> thanks.

HTH