Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by David Charle <db...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/15 16:41:33 UTC

Backup strategy

Hi

Anyone using any backup strategy (other than replication) for any
point-in-time restore ? Any recommendations on best practices ?

--
David

RE: Backup strategy

Posted by Pablo Musa <pa...@psafe.com>.
Lars,
thanks for the great post. However I am using HBase 0.90.6 :(

What is the best approach in my case?
My data is not very big 100GB divided into 4 tables. I don't need daily backup,
weekly maybe. But I need to be able to fully restore the state (all data in a
consistent state) if my migration goes wrong.

Thanks,
Pablo

Re: Backup strategy

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Here's one way: http://hadoop-hbase.blogspot.com/2012/04/timestamp-consistent-backups-in-hbase.html

________________________________
Posted by "Espinoza,Carlos" <es...@oclc.org>.
It will depend on the size of the data, how many maps you run, and how
many disk drives you have available on the destination end. Also
replication may play a role. We'll backup things up with a replication
factor of 1, and then when the backup is complete we'll increase it to
three.

Thanks Carlos. Do you have any rough estimates on timings on snapshot ?
(by leaving copy)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Espinoza,Carlos <es...@oclc.org>
wrote:

> This is what we've been using https://github.com/oclc/HBase-Backup

David

Re: Backup strategy

Posted by David Charle <db...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Carlos. Do you have any rough estimates on timings on snapshot ? (by
leaving copy)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Espinoza,Carlos <es...@oclc.org> wrote:

> This is what we've been using https://github.com/oclc/HBase-Backup

David