Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/08 22:23:15 UTC

Does our "Decision Making" information need additional instructions?

The information we currently have on Decision Making can be found in our
Orientation section:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/decision-making.html

On that page, there are explanations for types of decision making used in
this project specifically and within the Apache Software Foundation. In my
opinion, this is very good "how to" guide, but somewhat limited as a "when
to" guide.

Most of the source code changes done currently are preceded by a BZ issue.
This is wonderfully simple and anyone on the commits list can follow what
and why something has been done.  In other cases, for much larger changes,
discussions have been initiated. So, we would NOT see an action such as
deleting an entire module undertaken without discussion. Decision making
for these types of change follow a a well-known and followed process.

Aside from code changes, there are changes to other areas of the project --
web sites, wiki, forums -- whose changes are not typically noted in BZ.
Sometimes there are proposals and discussions, sometimes not.  These are
the kinds of changes that may need additional clarification with regard to
decision making.

In summary, what kinds of change for non-source code need  a
[PROPOSAL]/discussion before change?

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain

Re: Does our "Decision Making" information need additional instructions?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2013 3:10 PM, "Alexandro Colorado" <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/18/13, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> jza@oooes.org>

> tasks
> the

> be
> effect
> stating

> using

> no

> FLOSS.
> evidence,

> this

> it.
> reasons

> certain
> used

> for

> can

> > > In my opinion, to a great extent, it depends on the message content. We
> > > don't' always adhere to the [PROPOSAL]/[LAZY PROPOSAL] tag, though that
> > > would certainly make things more clear.
> > >
> > > When I see a statement posted on this list like:
> > >
> > > "Page X has a false statement on it, and unless anyone objects over the
> > > next day or so, I will fix it."
> > >
> > > regardless of what the subject matter is, I have a pretty good idea
> that
> > > this is a lazy consensus statement, and the sender will likely wait a
> few
> > > days and make the fix.
> > >
> > > When I see a statement like:
> > >
> > > "It seems like page x has a false statement on it."
> > >
> > > and nothing else, I don't interpret that as a lazy consensus proposal,
> but
> > > rather an info item only.
> >
> > I wonder how you define 'info item' and what you expect to do with it.
> > If for example there is a typo and a page says AApache OpenOffice on
> > the title, and an email comes saying:
> >
> > "It seems like page x has a typo on the title saying AApache
> > OpenOffice, I create the bug #2111 with the patch"
> >
> > What exactly should be the next step, if any?
>
> A notification about a bug with a patch is an "info item", possibly
> needing action, in my mind. In this case, since an e-mail was sent telling
> us of a patch, a committer could apply it after checking it out and making
> a determination that it was  the right thing to do -- in this case, a
> spelling correction which, of course, is needed -- and not harmful.
>
> This "next step" is normal in our process of dealing with bug reports.
>

> > > I think Rob's suggestions in this thread to augment what is already on
> the
> > > Decision Making page would give folks a better understanding of when to
> > > use a [PROPOSAL] or [LAZY CONSENSUS].
> > >
> > > I am not trying to change the process, but to add clarity to it.
> > >
> > > [LAZY CONSENSUS] proposal:
> > > Unless there are objections to Rob's suggestions, I will add them to
> the
> > > Decision Making page sometime over the upcoming weekend.

Changes are now in staging:

 http://openoffice.staging.apache.org/orientation/decision-making.html

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

A notification about a bug with a patch is an "info item", possibly needing
action, in my mind. In this case, since an e-mail was sent telling us of a
patch, a committer could apply it after checking it out and making a
determination that it was  the right thing to do -- in this case, a
spelling correction which, of course, is needed -- and not harmful.

This "next step" is normal in our process of dealing with bug reports.

> > I think Rob's suggestions in this thread to augment what is already on
the
> > Decision Making page would give folks a better understanding of when to
> > use a [PROPOSAL] or [LAZY CONSENSUS].
> >
> > I am not trying to change the process, but to add clarity to it.
> >
> > [LAZY CONSENSUS] proposal:
> > Unless there are objections to Rob's suggestions, I will add them to the
> > Decision Making page sometime over the upcoming weekend.

Mark

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I have recently been impact, on this lack of decision making tasks not
being followed (ignoring 72 hr limit, etc) basically breaking the process.
So I have a few comments on this.

One important part is focusing on the meritocracy aspect of FLOSS. Is
important not only to have a bug but an 'evidence'. Everyone has the right
to a voice and have their opinion on implementations. However I think that
the impact of that voice should be accompany with actual evidence, and
would go into even having to propose an alternative. Deny things for the
sole case of  opinion shouldn't be enforced, otherwise this will leave us

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.