Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Stephen Ellis <st...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/09/19 12:30:22 UTC

Auto Filter count

Hi There,
Firstly thank you for version 1.6, I think it is a big improvement over 1.5.
Would it be possible to include a count feature when using the Auto Filter in a future update.
With this feature it would then be the ultimate office package.
Excel already has this feature included.
At the moment I physically have to count records, this is not only time consuming but also inaccurate.
Thank you for your time.
I look forward to your reply.
Stephen.

Re: Auto Filter count

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 12:30 19/09/2019 +0000, Stephen Ellis wrote:
>Firstly thank you ...

Well, it's not me: you wrote to a mailing list which, as its name
("Users") suggests, is composed mainly of users of OpenOffice - just
like you and me.

>... for version 1.6, I think it is a big improvement over 1.5.

Since neither of those versions existed, I'm hoping you mean version 4.1.6?

>Would it be possible to include a count feature when using the Auto
>Filter in a future update. With this feature it would then be the
>ultimate office package. Excel already has this feature included. At
>the moment I physically have to count records, this is not only time
>consuming but also inaccurate.

Unreliable rather than necessarily inaccurate, I think.

No, you don't have to count the rows. You can use the SUBTOTAL()
function, which provides the result of one of eleven different
calculations on a range, but applied only to the visible rows when
AutoFilter has been used. For example:
=SUBTOTAL(2;Xm:Xn)
applies the function COUNT() to visible cells in the range Xm:Xn, so
counts how many numbers there are; or
=SUBTOTAL(3;Xm:Xn)
applies the function COUNTA() in a similar fashion, thus counting
values whether they be numbers or text.
But note that empty cells are not counted. Try this and watch the
values change as you use different criteria in your AutoFilter.

If you wish to suggest something as an enhancement to OpenOffice, you
need to do this at the web site - at the same place where you report
bugs. Start at
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/ . But I'm not sure that "Excel has this"
will be a compelling reason for change.

I trust this helps.