Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/31 22:35:16 UTC

secondary storage questions

Sort of embarrassed to ask this, but I'm unclear on a few of the
aspects of secondary storage.

1) I can see that if I add multiple secondary storage locations, they
each get a copy of the registered templates. Are these copied from one
secondary storage to another, or from the url of the registered
template?

2) It seems that the intent is to mirror templates across all
secondary storages, zone-wide, correct? But no copies are made for the
snapshots or volumes dirs. This may point to the idea that templates
are always downloaded via URLs

3) It sounds like the total size of secondary storage is somewhat
limited by templates, e.g. if all of you secondary storage is in
templates, adding another secondary storage server won't increase my
capacity, correct?

Re: secondary storage questions

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

On 19/07/13 8:47 AM, "Mike Tutkowski" <mi...@solidfire.com> wrote:

>When we use the word "template" here, do we mean both templates (like
>OVAs)
>and ISOs?

Yes, that¹s correct.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
When we use the word "template" here, do we mean both templates (like OVAs)
and ISOs?

Thanks!

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I have one follow-up:
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> > All the public templates will be replicated to all the secondary storage
> > for redundancy but private templates and uploaded volumes should be kept
> > in one of the randomly chosen secondary storage. Snapshots will be
> > randomly copied to one of the secondary storage (the chain of incremental
> > snapshots are kept on the same secondary storage.). Currently these
> > algorithms are hardcoded and so in case you need flexibility please open
> > an enhancement for the same.
> >

> > On 04/06/13 2:57 AM, "Marcus Sorensen" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone?
> >>
> >>We are also noticing that if we register a template, that template is
> >>registered and ready, but becomes unusable if the URL for the template
> >>stops working at any time. Seems like we attempt to red download it every
> >>so often. So no one-time registration. Is this by design?
> >
> > Whenever there is a handshake between MS and the agent running on the
> SSVM
> > there is a template sync which syncs the template status on the MS DB and
> > the template's physical Location and triggers the download if its not
> > complete or retries in case there was some error. (This handshake happens
> > on ssvm re/start, agent on SSVM re/start and MS re/start).
>
> This implies that once the template is downloaded and is ready, the
> URL doesn't need to stick around. We have some instances where we may
> be downloading templates via one-time URLs. We had seen some things
> that made us think that the template URLs are checked and possibly
> redownloaded on occasion, so I wanted to clarify this, perhaps our
> interpretations were wrong. Obviously if the URLs are checked and a
> redownload is attempted for any reason, it will fail.

> > From the url of the template. Should happen only for public templates. If
> > you see otherwise please file a bug.

> > Multiple sec. storage are added for adding more storage and making public
> > templates highly available.
> > Templates are downloaded via URLs but can also be created from snapshots
> > and volumes

> > Not correct, as per explanation above.

--
*Mike Tutkowski*