Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org> on 2021/03/23 11:57:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Feature freeze date for 1.13

Hi devs, users!

1. *Feature freeze date*

We are approaching the end of March which we agreed would be the time
for a Feature Freeze. From the knowledge I've gather so far it still
seems to be a viable plan. I think it is a good time to agree on a
particular date, when it should happen. We suggest *(end of day CEST)
March 31st* (Wednesday next week) as the feature freeze time.

Similarly as last time, we want to create RC0 on the day after the
feature freeze, to make sure the RC creation process is running
smoothly, and to have a common testing reference point.

Having said that let us remind after Robert & Dian from the previous
release what it a Feature Freeze means:

*B) What does feature freeze mean?*After the feature freeze, no new
features are allowed to be merged to master. Only bug fixes and
documentation improvements. The release managers will revert new feature
commits after the feature freeze. Rational: The goal of the feature
freeze phase is to improve the system stability by addressing known
bugs. New features tend to introduce new instabilities, which would
prolong the release process. If you need to merge a new feature after
the freeze, please open a discussion on the dev@ list. If there are no
objections by a PMC member within 48 (workday)hours, the feature can be
merged.

2. *Merge PRs from the command line*

In the past releases it was quite frequent around the Feature Freeze
date that we ended up with a broken main branch that either did not
compile or there were failing tests. It was often due to concurrent
merges to the main branch via the "Rebase and merge" button. To overcome
the problem we would like to suggest only ever merging PRs from a
command line. Thank you Stephan for the idea! The suggested workflow
would look as follows:

 1. Pull the change and rebase on the current main branch
 2. Build the project (e.g. from IDE, which should be faster than
    building entire project from cmd) -> this should ensure the project
    compiles
 3. Run the tests in the module that the change affects -> this should
    greatly minimize the chances of failling tests
 4. Push the change to the main branch

Let us know what you think!

Best,

Guowei & Dawid

Re: Apply external 3 days for FLINK-20387 after feature freeze

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.
+1 for more days for this FLIP.

Changing data type is a massive work, and supporting windowing on
timestamp_ltz is also
 a very complex job when considering DST. Would be great if we can have
more days to
finalize this work.

Best,
Jark

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Leonard Xu <xb...@gmail.com>.
Hi,  Dawid & Guowei

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature freeze date for 1.13

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yuval,

I think you are good to go, since there is no objection from PMC.

Best,
Kurt

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yuval,

Posted by Yuval Itzchakov <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guowei,

--
Best Regards,
Yuval Itzchakov.

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature freeze date for 1.13

Posted by Guowei Ma <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Yuval

Posted by Guowei Ma <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Yuval