Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Magne Nordtveit <mn...@offsim.no> on 2012/09/21 11:52:19 UTC

How to make release:prepare ask for password?

How can I make the release-plugin ask for a password when it needs it, rather than having to either a) provide it as a property when building, or b) putting it in a settings.xml file or equivalent. I don't like the fact that I have to have the password stored in a batch history file somewhere, or in a settings.xml file everybody knows where is...

Magne Nordtveit
Senior Systems Engineer

Mobile: +47 957 20 187

Offshore Simulator Centre AS
Visiting address: Borgundvegen 340, N-6009, Aalesund, Norway
Postal address:   Borgundvegen 340, N-6009, Aalesund, Norway
www.offsim.no<http://www.offsim.no/>

Re: How to make release:prepare ask for password?

Posted by "Lyons, Roy" <Ro...@cmegroup.com>.
If this is related to your Nexus authentication, 2.1 is an awesome release
with regards to this.  They introduced an API token authentication
approach, so that you won't be handing over the keys to the castle if
someone compromises your API token password.

We are using it with encryption as well, and are storing the master
settings-security.xml in a secure location, pointing to it with a
relocation tag in the HOME/.m2/settings-security.xml file.

If you are already in linux, simply chmod go-rwx it.

Also, use SSL as a connection, so that the password cannot be sniffed.
Again, that might be overkill since it isn't a system account password.

If this is for your SCM, you may want to consider git instead of svn.  You
can use an ssh key with that, and will allow you to connect without
revealing a password.

Thanks,

Roy Lyons
Senior Configuration Engineer
(312) 648-3659 [w]
(773) 551-8335 [c]
Roy.Lyons@cmegroup.com
<mailto:Roy.Lyons@cmegroup.com?subject=Contact%20from%20email%20signature>
CME Group
20 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Self Help
https://wiki.chicago.cme.com/confluence/display/CM/Home

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Magne Nordtveit <mn...@offsim.no>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Magne Nordtveit <mn...@offsim.no>.
That doesn't really answer my question though - that's just a replacement of a plain text password by an encrypted one. The value of that isn't really high when it requires the master password to be stored in a different file IMHO, but that's a different discussion all together. I want to be asked for password when one is required - that way NO passwords are stored longer than they have to.

Magne

you can encrypt passwords in settings.xml:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-encryption.html.

Regards,
htfv (Aliaksei Lahachou)

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.