Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Dodunski <Ch...@christopher.net.nz> on 2010/10/11 09:53:51 UTC

Configuring which Servlet is invoked

Hello,

I have a slight problem, and am having difficulty determining which part
of the Tomcat documentation applies in my case.

Apache HTTP Server version (as proxy): 2.2.9 (Debian)
Tomcat version: 6.0.29

**My Problem**
Apache Roller weblogger is running on Tomcat with ROOT context, and is
hosting several blog pages, each with a unique domain (Roller supports
this).  Here are two:

http://blog.bread.co.nz
http://blog.christopher.net.nz

By way of mod_proxy, requests to the above are forwarded on to Tomcat, AJP
port 8009.  Moreover, mod_rewrite modifies the URLs thus:

http://blog.bread.co.nz/bread/
http://blog.christopher.net.nz/christopher/

Roller uses the last part of the URL to determine which particular blog to
serve up.  In the first example, "bread".  However, the second isn't
working as intended.

Because I also happen to have an unrelated web application running at
webapps/christopher (bearing in mind that Roller is found at
webapps/ROOT), requests to the second URL above are being forwarded on to
webapps/christopher.  So the response comes from a Servlet found here, and
not from Roller.

I imagine adding a directive to server.xml will have the situation sorted.
 Obviously, webapps/christopher should respond to requests made to
http://my_main_domain:8080/christopher.  But webapps/ROOT should respond
to requests made to http://blog.christopher.net.nz/christopher.

I'd appreciate some help in getting this sorted.  In the meanwhile, I've
had to switch webapps/christopher off.

Thanks & regards,

Chris.

Re: Configuring which Servlet is invoked

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 11/10/2010 08:53, Christopher Dodunski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a slight problem, and am having difficulty determining which part
> of the Tomcat documentation applies in my case.
>
> Apache HTTP Server version (as proxy): 2.2.9 (Debian)
> Tomcat version: 6.0.29
>
> **My Problem**
> Apache Roller weblogger is running on Tomcat with ROOT context, and is
> hosting several blog pages, each with a unique domain (Roller supports
> this).  Here are two:
>
> http://blog.bread.co.nz
> http://blog.christopher.net.nz
>
> By way of mod_proxy, requests to the above are forwarded on to Tomcat, AJP
> port 8009.  Moreover, mod_rewrite modifies the URLs thus:
>
> http://blog.bread.co.nz/bread/
> http://blog.christopher.net.nz/christopher/
>
> Roller uses the last part of the URL to determine which particular blog to
> serve up.  In the first example, "bread".  However, the second isn't
> working as intended.
>
> Because I also happen to have an unrelated web application running at
> webapps/christopher (bearing in mind that Roller is found at
> webapps/ROOT), requests to the second URL above are being forwarded on to
> webapps/christopher.  So the response comes from a Servlet found here, and
> not from Roller.
>
> I imagine adding a directive to server.xml will have the situation sorted.
>  Obviously, webapps/christopher should respond to requests made to
> http://my_main_domain:8080/christopher.  But webapps/ROOT should respond
> to requests made to http://blog.christopher.net.nz/christopher.
>
> I'd appreciate some help in getting this sorted.  In the meanwhile, I've
> had to switch webapps/christopher off.

Deploy this app on it's own domain, leave the rest on the default domain.

 http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html