Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2001/09/27 10:55:42 UTC

Web logs & statistics

General Remark:

It seems the web logs have been moved recently from
/x2/logarchive/www/jakarta.apache.org/$YEAR/$MONTH to
/x2/logarchive/www/$YEAR/$MONTH. Also the <day J>.gz files now contains logs
for the J day and also some logs for the J+1 day ... which makes it harder
to get statistics for a given day. Any reason for that ?

Statistics :

Is it possible to set up a statistics tool for all jakarta projects (and
even others) so that each project does not have to do its own statistics.
For example, I had to install webalizer in my jakarta account to create
Cactus statistics (available at
http://jakarta.apache.org/~vmassol/webalizer/). It provides some very useful
information. However, I know that I am eating quite a lot of space on
daedalus [and am concerned by that], especially as I am a rookie in
webalizer and have not spent the time (yet) to know how to properly do diff
statistics so I have stored all logs related to Cactus in a big file which
eats 145Mo and do a full parsing using webalizer every time (it's quite fast
and only takes about 10 seconds). I also have to do this process manually as
I didn't want to set a cron job.

I'm sure this is not a new subject and it may have been discussed in the
past. I think offering a statistics page on jakarta.apache.org would be nice
and would also provide a good and healthy competition between projects ...
:) It may even make the project committers more conscious about their user
base and pay more attention to the users (like trying not to remove public
API too fast, ....) ... :)

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: Web logs & statistics

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:28, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Ok, I can do it but I'll probably need some help. For example to install
> webalizer in the correct directory I would need the correct rights. Also,
> where should it go : in /usr/local/bin ? Once I got webalizer (or any
> another one. I have only tried this one), I can probably manage the rest
> alone.

It maybe easier just to install the binary in your own directory for the time
being. That way you can tinker with it and change things much easier. After
you have it setup and going it should be easy enough to get it installed
somewhere else if required.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Apache logs problem

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
It seems there is a problem of dates with the generated apache logs in
/x2/logarchive/www/2001

For example if you look at 2001/09/24.gz, the last entry is dated
25/Sep/2001:00:21:09 and the first entry of 2001/09/25.gz is dated
25/Sep/2001:00:00:04 !!

Now, even worse, I have tried to find in 24.gz the first entry that is in
25.gz with no success. It is not there ! It means there is a problem of
dates and the entries do not seem to be duplicate ... !??

This is a big problem for handling logs, especially for generating
statistics.

This problem is quite new (maybe 1 month at most) and it worked fine before.

Can anyone help ?
Thanks

-Vincent Massol

Re: Apache logs problem

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Thanks for the tip Ceki !

* Yes, I am using the -p flag (incremental)

* I did not know about the -f one and just checked the man page. It seems
that by using it webalizer will process all logs from previous dates as if
had the time/date of the last known process log. Let's imagine a cron job
for day D : it will need to process D-1.gz (not too easy because we need to
consider when D is at the end of the month - but doable) and D.gz. For
D-1.gz, no -f flag should be used. For D.gz, I will need to use the D.gz
flag but then won't all logs accumulate for the time of the last entry in
D-1.gz, instead of the correct times at which these log happened ? Also, it
looks a bit complicated to me. It would seem normal that D.gz would contain
all logs for the D day .... (as was happening before the past month). So, I
would prefer to correct that behaviour instead of trying to accomodate this
[unless someone tells me this behaviour is actually correct for such and
such reason].

* Do you know who is managing daedalus logs so that I can contact him and
solve this out ?

Thanks
-Vincent

Assuming you are using webalizer, have you tried using the -f (fold sequence
errors) and the -p (preserve state) flags?

Regards, Ceki

At 11:39 29.09.2001 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:
>It seems there is a problem of dates with the generated apache logs in
>/x2/logarchive/www/2001
>
>For example if you look at 2001/09/24.gz, the last entry is dated
>25/Sep/2001:00:21:09 and the first entry of 2001/09/25.gz is dated
>25/Sep/2001:00:00:04 !!
>
>Now, even worse, I have tried to find in 24.gz the first entry that is in
>25.gz with no success. It is not there ! It means there is a problem of
>dates and the entries do not seem to be duplicate ... !??
>
>This is a big problem for handling logs, especially for generating
>statistics.
>
>This problem is quite new (maybe 1 month at most) and it worked fine
before.

>Can anyone help ?
>Thanks
>
>-Vincent Massol

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch

The world owes Israel a great debt for destroying Saddam's
French built nuclear reactor in 1981 and thus preventing
nuclear blackmail in the region and perhaps beyond.
                       -- Garry Kasparov (yes, the chess player)

Re: Apache logs problem

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hello Vincent,

At 13:57 01.10.2001 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:
>Thanks for the tip Ceki !

Most welcome.

>* Yes, I am using the -p flag (incremental)

OK.

>* I did not know about the -f one and just checked the man page. It seems
>that by using it webalizer will process all logs from previous dates as if
>had the time/date of the last known process log. Let's imagine a cron job
>for day D : it will need to process D-1.gz (not too easy because we need to
>consider when D is at the end of the month - but doable) and D.gz. For
>D-1.gz, no -f flag should be used. For D.gz, I will need to use the D.gz
>flag but then won't all logs accumulate for the time of the last entry in
>D-1.gz, instead of the correct times at which these log happened ? Also, it
>looks a bit complicated to me. It would seem normal that D.gz would contain
>all logs for the D day .... (as was happening before the past month). So, I
>would prefer to correct that behaviour instead of trying to accomodate this
>[unless someone tells me this behaviour is actually correct for such and
>such reason].

Right, it's a pain. On the other hand, doesn't webalizer ignore out of order
entries? Due to out of order entries, your stats will not be 100% accurate
but 99.95% should be good enough for our purposes...

>* Do you know who is managing daedalus logs so that I can contact him and
>solve this out ?

It's probably Brian but I do not know for sure. I am very curious about the reason
behind the disordered log entires.

Re: Apache logs problem

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hello Vincent,

Re: Web logs & statistics

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:55, Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Statistics :
> >
> > Is it possible to set up a statistics tool for all jakarta projects (and
> > even others) so that each project does not have to do its own
statistics.
> > For example, I had to install webalizer in my jakarta account to create
> > Cactus statistics (available at
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/~vmassol/webalizer/). It provides some very
> > useful information. However, I know that I am eating quite a lot of
space
> > on daedalus [and am concerned by that], especially as I am a rookie in
> > webalizer and have not spent the time (yet) to know how to properly do
diff
> > statistics so I have stored all logs related to Cactus in a big file
which
> > eats 145Mo and do a full parsing using webalizer every time (it's quite
> > fast and only takes about 10 seconds). I also have to do this process
> > manually as I didn't want to set a cron job.
>
> Thansk for volunteering!

hehe ... I knew it .... I always get caught the same way within my own
company, I should have known better ... ;-)

Re: Web logs & statistics

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Re: Jakarta-tomcat sometimes stay in blocking state.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:57, 정병완 wrote:
> We have a project with jakarta-tomcat.
> But, whenever jakarta-tomcat received request for none-exist page, it not
> work.  so, we reboot jakarta-tomcat, then work normaly.
> But in this case, java servlets module work, jsp module not work.
>
> If you know this problems then show me answer.

This is not the list to ask this on. Read the ww pages and look for
tomcat-user list.

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.  Those of us who
 aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might
 think we're stupid." -- Jules Feiffer

Jakarta-tomcat sometimes stay in blocking state.

Re: Is there a FAQ of FAQ?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
 --- Andrew Jackman <aj...@deckertelecom.net> wrote: > Hi,
> I'm new to TomCat and looking for associated tools (in particular source debug
> tools for JSP scripts). There are lots of sub-projects with interesting names
> and some of them even have FAQs, but is there a FAQ that gives a short
> description for each subproject that shows what the project does and how that
> project fits into the Jakarta corral?
> I did read the general FAQ and I asked for the FAQ from general@jakarta...
> TIA,
> Andy.

That's a very interesting question Andy, and I'd love to have an answer.

I've just spent some of this morning entering missing xml.apache.org projects
to the jyve based FAQ. I've been trying to enter a few lines on each project
and pointer to the project's home page. Hopefully that will help a bit.

If you are only interested in Jakarta then go to http://jakarta.apache.org
and select all the buttons down the left hand side (hitting "back" after you
have read the overview).

If you insist on having a single document then give me a shout and you
might persuade me to find someone to do it.

To ask a slightly different question:
Is there a mailing list for all Apache FAQ writers and documentation writers?
I think such a mailing list would be a good idea so that people can share their
knowledge in those areas.

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk    Open Source Consultancy in London
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/