Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2002/02/28 19:59:27 UTC

Re: Syndication of javascript: urls as a security window?

Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> Syndication of javascript: urls as a security window?
>
> burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton)
>
> 27 Feb 2002 15:10:01 -0800
>
> syndication@yahoogroups.com

>OK...
>
>I don't think a lot of people are checking for this.
>
>If someone were to create an RSS item of
>
><item>
>
>    <title>something shocking has happened</title>
>    <link>javascript:somethingBad()</title>
>
></item>
>
>This somethingBad() could be a one line Javascript to get cookes and to create a
>URL with this info an post to a site.
>
>We should document this somewhere and incourage aggregators to remote
>javascript: urls.
>
>Thoughts?

It does not look really awful for Jetspeed as a whole, as we usually get
RSS channels from OCS feeds, which means that we have some kind of
quality assurance from third parties. But I agree that we should prevent
this happening.

We should check that dangerous protocols are removed from the channel
when we create the portlet. Better than this, we should have a list of
"innocent" protocols to allow in <links>, like http or ftp and refuse to
take any URI that does not begin with one of those protocols.

This could be done in the NewRSSPortlet.init() and
JetspeedContentPortlet.init() , at least. Other places?

Thanks for relaying the info, Kevin

Re: Syndication of javascript: urls as a security window?

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.