Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by CHANG Shuh <sh...@gemalto.com> on 2007/02/15 17:25:46 UTC

RE: NTEventLogAppender with missing description source for Windows Server 2003

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your feedback. To share the information, please keep the feedback on the log4j users list.

The NTEventLogAppender.DLL works EXCEPT that when logged in the EventViewer, it also records some extra messages like:
The description for Event ID ( 4096 ) in Source ( Log4jEventLog ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: DEBUG 2007-01-16 22:24:32,866 - > cache-control=no-cache

The actual event message should have simply been:

DEBUG 2007-01-16 22:24:32,866 - > cache-control=no-cache

I tried the solution that you mentioned by using the DLL from 1.2.8 and log4j.jar from 1.2.13. However, the same problem is still there (still showing the extra unwanted messages). It would need fixing the description source and recompile the DLL file to get rid of that annoying extra message logged in every event. Thanks.

Regards,
Shuh

________________________________

	From: René
	Date: 15.02.2007 14:18
	Subject: RE: NTEventLogAppender with missing description source for Windows Server 2003
	To: shuh.chang@gemalto.com

	Dear Shuh

	I read your posts and thank you for these further information. Because I have the same problem I am really interested in fixing this. But could you please help me to understand what the problem is? Because:
	a) the DLL is already there
	b) the DLL creates automatically its registry entries

	So, even if there is no DllRegisterServer entry point at the moment, it should have worked until now.
	Question would it help just to rebuild the DLL? I mean the 4096 id is already in the mc-file as 0x1000.

	What did I miss?
	Thank you very much for clarifying.

	Cheers,
	René

Re: NTEventLogAppender with missing description source for Windows Server 2003

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 10:25 AM, CHANG Shuh wrote:

> Hi Rene,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. To share the information, please keep the
> feedback on the log4j users list.
>
> The NTEventLogAppender.DLL works EXCEPT that when logged in the
> EventViewer, it also records some extra messages like:
> The description for Event ID ( 4096 ) in Source ( Log4jEventLog )
> cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
> registry information or message DLL files to display messages from
> a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
> retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The
> following information is part of the event: DEBUG 2007-01-16
> 22:24:32,866 - > cache-control=no-cache
>
> The actual event message should have simply been:
>
> DEBUG 2007-01-16 22:24:32,866 - > cache-control=no-cache
>

> I tried the solution that you mentioned by using the DLL from 1.2.8
> and log4j.jar from 1.2.13. However, the same problem is still there
> (still showing the extra unwanted messages). It would need fixing
> the description source and recompile the DLL file to get rid of
> that annoying extra message logged in every event. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Shuh

I believe that it is now fixed in the source code, but there has been
no release since the fix has gone in.