Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Elad Messing <el...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/01 09:18:37 UTC

[RESEND] What have changed since "Cocoon: Building XML Applications" was published?

[Resend from legitimate address]

Hello to all
I am about to start designing and implementing a portal application using
Cocoon.
In order to do so, I just finished the "Cocoon: Building XML Applications"
book.
The book offer's you some "best practices" and methodology which gives me
the feeling I am ready to start and design my application.
Now - I imagine some things have change since the book was published. I
wouldn't want to design the application, just to figure out then that my
chosen methods are long over-due.
I was thinking that maybe, just maybe - some of you had already gone through
that phase, read the book, collected the missing/outdated data, and can hand
me a list of items that I should go through before start my design..
I know I am spoiled, but I guess it is worth the shot.. :)
I would off-course appreciate the effort !
Thank you in advance.

Elad

AW: [RESEND] What have changed since "Cocoon: Building XML Applications" was published?

Posted by Elad Messing <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all who answered !!

I will start reading about Flowscripts and Cforms and the Portal Block.
Looks like life had become a lot easier on the past 2 years for a
Web-Application developer with Cocoon!

Elad

> I am about to start designing and implementing a portal application
> using Cocoon.
>
> In order to do so, I just finished the "Cocoon: Building XML
> Applications" book.
>
> The book offer's you some "best practices" and methodology which gives
> me the feeling I am ready to start and design my application.
>
> Now - I imagine some things have change since the book was published.
> I wouldn't want to design the application, just to figure out then
> that my chosen methods are long over-due.
>
> I was thinking that maybe, just maybe - some of you had already gone
> through that phase, read the book, collected the missing/outdated
> data, and can hand me a list of items that I should go through before
> start my design….

It all depends on what your application is. The book describes Cocoon 2.0,
and although everything you will find there is still available in the
current version, a lot of new features have appeared in the area of web
application development (compared to publication).

Among all changes, the most noticeable ones that may heavily influence on
application design:
- flowscript, that makes it really easy to setup complect interactions (i.e.
guiding the user through successive pages)
- Cocoon Forms, a powerful form handling framework, that kicks ass when
combined with flowscript
- a complete rewrite of the portal framework

Sylvain

Re: [RESEND] What have changed since "Cocoon: Building XML Applications" was published?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.