Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org> on 2014/12/06 04:21:10 UTC

Location for storing example code and tutorials...

Need suggestions where we can keep example codes, tutorials, best practices, etc for Apache Ranger.

One option is to store in GIT and have the location pointed from Wiki page. Or have it uploaded to Wiki page itself. We also have SVN for the Web site...

With GIT, the concern is the additional steps of review/commit and also the examples and tutorials might come post release, so updating the release branch might not be advisable.

FYI, those who are not aware, there were some nice contributions done to jump start the website and wiki page. Looking forward for more contributions/feedbacks/suggestions to clean this up and add more content.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Index <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Index>
http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/ <http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/>

Feel free to create JIRAs for any typos or incorrectness. Also if you need any additional information.

Thank you

Bosco

Re: Location for storing example code and tutorials...

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Selva and I had an offline discussion. We both felt it would be good to start using Wiki similar to the format using by Kafka (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Index <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Index>). Once we have enough content, we can revisit to see if there are any better of doing this.

Please provide any other suggestions you might have and challenges you feel by using Wiki.

I am going to start creating a few JIRAs to track the immediate content we need to put in the Wiki. If anyone wants to contribute, please assign it to yourself or let me know.

Initial list:
Release 0.4
1. Examples for REST API for policies
2. Script to create HDFS folders for Audit (Bosco)
3. Script to create policies in Ranger to allow components to write to HDFS audit folders (Bosco)
4. Enabling SSL for communication between Policy Admin Server and Component Plugins
5. Connecting to LDAPs for synchronizing users and groups
6. Best practices for configuring policies in HDFS, Hive, HBase, Storm and Knox
7. Best practices for configuring auditing in Apache Ranger
8. Partitioning of MySQL and Oracle database for auditing
9. Trouble shooting series:
   - Policy Admin
   - Component plugins

Release 0.5
- Design
  - Kafka integration
  - Plugable plugin architecture
  - Support near real-time query with HDFS auditing records

Thanks

Bosco

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Just as a data point, for Knox we went with keeping the docs in the site
svn repo for many of the reasons outlined by Bosco.

On 12/8/14 3:26 AM, Don Bosco Durai wrote:
> These are the following I had my list:
> 1. Examples for REST API for policies
> 2. Script to create HDFS folders for Audit
> 3. Script to create policies in Ranger to allow components to write to HDFS audit folders
>
> In future, we might more such tutorials and sample codes. Can you suggest a directory structure in GIT where we should add these?
>
> Also, most of these are also applicable for the previous release (0.4), so which branches do you recommend to commit these?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bosco
>

>> On Dec 7, 2014, at 4:23 PM, Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>

>> I prefer to keep the Structure/Docs in the Apache Ranger GIT Repo itself (Already checked in in to git://git.apache.org/incubator-ranger.git/docs) and
>> have it updated to the doc site, http://ranger.incubator.apache.org.
>> However, some of the dynamic content about the project could be done in the wiki directly.
>>
>> Selva-
>>

>> On Dec 5, 2014, at 10:21 PM, Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Need suggestions where we can keep example codes, tutorials, best practices, etc for Apache Ranger.
>>>
>>> One option is to store in GIT and have the location pointed from Wiki page. Or have it uploaded to Wiki page itself. We also have SVN for the Web site...
>>>
>>> With GIT, the concern is the additional steps of review/commit and also the examples and tutorials might come post release, so updating the release branch might not be advisable.
>>>
>>> FYI, those who are not aware, there were some nice contributions done to jump start the website and wiki page. Looking forward for more contributions/feedbacks/suggestions to clean this up and add more content.
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Index <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Index>
>>> http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/ <http://ranger.incubator.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> Feel free to create JIRAs for any typos or incorrectness. Also if you need any additional information.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Bosco
>>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Location for storing example code and tutorials...

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Location for storing example code and tutorials...

Posted by Selvamohan Neethiraj <sn...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE