Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2012/03/19 11:54:48 UTC

gzip and http1.0

Hi all,

We recently ran into a problem with tapestry's GZIP compression and had
to disable it.

The problem was that a core group of our clients are stuck in ie6 land
from within a proxy and its default setting is to use http 1.0 in that
scenario.

When using http 1.0 the headers are incorrectly set or read, and the
gzip response is interpreted as plain text by the client.

It manifests itself as lots of javascript syntax errors un-styled html.

Beware!

PS, maybe tapestry can auto-disable gzip if the http version is 1.0?

Re: gzip and http1.0

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
Hi Paul,

I thought maybe some proxy settings between tapestry and your ie6 clients be another possible workaround?

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#envsettings
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200212.mbox/%3C002b01c2a829$e3592170$0200a8c0@FamHolthaus%3E

Obviously YMMV, but it seems you've plugged through it already :)

Cheers
Chris