Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Clinton Gormley <cl...@traveljury.com> on 2005/11/02 16:10:02 UTC

Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

I have recently had a bit of exposure to Class:DBI and CGI::Application
in a project running under CGI.

My (brief) experience of both is that they cut the code you have to
write dramatically, making development a whole lot faster.

But also, (certainly when running under CGI on my old laptop) they add a
lot of code which could be unnecessary.

I am about to start a new project with mod_perl 2 which (if it works) is
destined to be high-traffic, so performance will be an issue.  It's one
thing to optimise only when it is required, but it is another to have to
rip out the basic structure of your application in order to do it!

What are the experiences/opinions of using these modules under mod_perl
2 on high traffic sites?

thanks

clint

Clinton Gormley clinton@traveljury.com

www.TravelJury.com - For travellers, By travellers

Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

Posted by Badai Aqrandista <ba...@hotmail.com>.
>Clinton Gormley wrote:
>>I have recently had a bit of exposure to Class:DBI and CGI::Application
>>in a project running under CGI.
>[...]
>>What are the experiences/opinions of using these modules under mod_perl
>>2 on high traffic sites?
>
>I'm currently using them on mod_perl 1, but it shouldn't matter.
>CGI::Application is lightweight and fast.  It will not give you any
>trouble.
>
>Class::DBI is significantly (about an order of magnitude) slower than
>hand-coded DBI objects, but saves you a lot of development time, so my
>current approach is to use it and replace things that end up being too
>slow.  If you want to try something else, the developer of Rose::DB::Object
>has a benchmark that shows his module falling somewhere in between
>Class::DBI and straight DBI calls, although it's still much slower than
>DBI.
>
>- Perrin

Sorry for the very late reply...

You might want to check this out: http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=504724

I quite agree with it...

---
Badai Aqrandista
Cheepy (?)

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Posted by "Christopher H. Laco" <cl...@chrislaco.com>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Clinton Gormley wrote:
>
>> What are the experiences/opinions of using these modules under mod_perl
>> 2 on high traffic sites?
>
> You might look at Cataylst which is a perl MVC (Model View Controller)

Not only that, but it runs under CGI, FastCGI, ModPerl1, and ModPerl2
without modification. There is also a local developer server script that
you can run while developing locally.

-=Chris

Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

Posted by Dan Axtell <da...@snet.net>.
I started using CGI::Application a while ago and found it pretty easy to use.
I think you might look into using CGI::Builder, which is basically the same
idea but more flexible and with lots of nice extensions for various
templating systems, etc.

Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Clinton Gormley wrote:
>
>> What are the experiences/opinions of using these modules under mod_perl
>> 2 on high traffic sites?
>
> You might look at Cataylst which is a perl MVC (Model View Controller)

CGI::Application is also MVC.  Catalyst is worth checking out though.

- Perrin

Re: Class::DBI and CGI::Application under mod_perl

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.