Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Renaud Waldura <re...@waldura.com> on 2001/08/09 03:22:54 UTC

What appender to use for development?

Dear Log4J Users,

What appender/layout combination do you use during development?

Currently we log everything to a file and "tail -f" that file, but it's not
always very practical (Windows equivalent of "tail -f"?). I've looked into
logging the NT event viewer, but I cannot say I'm thrilled about its
interface. Besides, I'd rather have something platform-independent, since
this is how we work.

Basically I'm looking for something that would show all log message as they
are generated, with some visual cues as to what level/module they originated
from.

I asked earlier this week about a "color layout" that would show colored
text, but the "TextPanelAppender " I was directed to, was taken out of the
core distribution and doesn't compile with log4j 1.1.1. It sounded promising
though...

I've also tried ChainSaw, but I feel like it's too limited, and I'm not very
fond of its design, piping log events to a separate process.

Ideas/advice?

--Renaud

Re: What appender to use for development?

Posted by Christopher Taylor <cs...@java-internals.com>.
I use a modified version of the NTEventLogAppender that sends messages to
OutputDebugString instead of the Event Log... if anyone is interested I can
email it  or commit it into source control...

-Chris

P.S. You can use the free DebugView
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml) application to
view the output of OutputDebugString.

Posted by Alain RAVET <ar...@cirb.irisnet.be>.
Responding to Renaud Waldura (jeudi 9 août 2001 03:23)

>>What appender/layout combination do you use during development?

Renaud,

I used to use the FileAppender, and tailf it with "follow"
       (http://sourceforge.net/projects/follow/)

Now, I use "chainsaw" : free, nice, simple.
       (http://www.geocities.com/oburn/chainsaw/)

As "chainsaw" splits the different elements of the LoggingEvent in separate columns, layout is not important.

Alain Ravet
Brussels, Belgium

This mail has been checked by exiscan.
To be safe, please scan the mail attachements with your local virus scanner !

Re: What appender to use for development?

Posted by BillWorker 2i Development Team <bi...@info.com.np>.
Thomas Tuft Muller wrote:

> If not, I have one written in Java. If you want the code you can have it.

That sounds nice. Can you mail me the code!

Regards,
Ashish

RE: What appender to use for development?

Posted by Thomas Tuft Muller <tt...@online.no>.

| Currently we log everything to a file and "tail -f" that file,
| but it's not
| always very practical (Windows equivalent of "tail -f"?).

Use Cygwin or I'm sure you can find a tail-version for win32 somewhere. If
not, I have one written in Java. If you want the code you can have it.

Another option is to use an editor that automatically updates files when
they change on disk (e.g. TextPad).

--

Thomas