Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2002/09/27 17:22:58 UTC

Re: Log4j @ jGuru.com

Please note, I'm not bashing your incentive in getting together a forum
for Log4J issues, I say "Cheers" to that, but I see a avenue for
development here at jakarta.apache.org...

Unfortunately, to search any faq messages at jGuru you have to become
member at 14.95 a month or 149.95 a year. That doesn't seem very
Opensource like to me, just to read through some emails people are
writing back and forth to each other.

I would love to see some decent faq and email archive searching
facilities housed at the Apache site. I know mail archives exist in gz
form at Jakarta. It seems upto the project head to decide which
"offsite" facility ends up providing indexing/search tools across those
archives. Often times I find the List-serv Archive searching tools very
limited for sites devoted to such objectives. That is, there's no

How about showcasing some of these great Servlet Engine, JSP tags,
Database Interfaces, Native XML DB's and Indexing tools developed
through Apache by using them on site to supply great interfaces for
accessing the email archives?!

<IDEA>It could even be released as a "WebApplication" project in Jakarta
that others could download and install for thier email list
services...</IDEA>

Plus, most of the documentation on how things really work ends up in
email messages. Having a decent search facility is integral to reducing
the amount of repeat questioning going on in the list-srvs.

-Mark Diggory

Re: Log4j @ jGuru.com

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Michael P. Canzoneri wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>I totaly understand & agree with your point of view about JGuru.  My
>approach from the beginning to this is to use both avenues of information.
>I plan to share any and all information with the Jakarta site.  I wasn't
>advocating for anyone to "just" use the jGuru site.  I was merely letting
>everyone on the log4j mailing list there is another channel of communication
>they could rely on.

All the better, I'm definitly not advicating you not to use jGuru. I
just don't agree with thier new philosphy of charging for "searching"
through other peoples emails! Its as if they are taking advantage of
unwited developers who don't realize all the information is already
freely available and all jGuru is providing is an interface to look
at/search those resources. Its kinda lame overall in my opinion. Not
that they don't have a right in a "free market economy" to do what they
are doing. It's just kinda "cheesy" in my opinion. Its like AOL or MSN
charging for access to some internet content thats *already free* in the
first place if you had a *real ISP*.

>The more resources we have as users the more these free tools will be
>accepted and used by others which is the goal of Jakarta from my point of
>view.  Reliable and FREE software that solves our problems as developers.
>
>Michael

Kudos, I do agree.

I'd love to see a webapplication that would do something like build a
Luciene Index off of the jakarta email archives.

1.) One could install it locally and update it off of the jakarta site
or Jakarta could host it once it was stable and functioning properly.

2.) One wouldn't be going to N different archive searching sites to
access the same info. An advanced search JSP  interface could be written
that provides various capabilities like regexp or complex query strings
of some sort. As Luciene develeops to proved more capabilities then the
search interface could be expanded with new features.

3.) Plus, if designed properly, the webapplication could be configured
to index off of  *any* or *multiple* listserv archives. One could
combine diferent archives from different sources into one large index on
thier local server. Maybe it could have an update mechanism that allows
one to schedule reindexing as the archives grow. Thus one could search
across all list-serv archives, or refine their search to a specific
list-serv archive.

Re: Log4j @ jGuru.com

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

RE: Log4j @ jGuru.com