Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2018/10/01 09:30:10 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Hi All

It’s been nearly 2 years since we ran our ASF Committer Diversity Survey so I think it's about time that we looked at running it again to see if things are changing. For those of you who haven't seen the details or the results from our 2016 ASF Committer Diversity Survey then you can find them at the link below:

https://s.apache.org/lV9h

Our original 2016 survey was run to:

  -  help us get a picture of our existing diversity as all our committers are linked to all ASF projects, and also;
 -   to create a baseline measure so we can see if we see if we are improving or not in our diversity efforts.

So I think that it would also be good to discuss and review the survey questions to see if we can improve them or the phrasing to better capture the data. Also if anyone is interested in helping out then please let me know.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
I would like to help in whatever way I can.

Kenn

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, Sharan Foga wrote:
> It�s been nearly 2 years since we ran our ASF Committer Diversity Survey
> so I think it's about time that we looked at running it again to see if
> things are changing.

The survey results were used in several presentations last week at
ApacheCon, and I remember them being helpful in past conferences too when
understanding how we're doing. I think we're due an update, so +1

> So I think that it would also be good to discuss and review the survey
> questions to see if we can improve them or the phrasing to better
> capture the data. Also if anyone is interested in helping out then
> please let me know.

One suggestion I'd make is to review the text of some other foundations /
tech organisation's surveys, and if we're missing questions they've asked
or have different incompatible wording, make sure we have that for a
reason. (Or update ours to match if no reason!). That would help us with
comparing ourselves to other similar groups, and also would assist outside
researchers trying to do meta-analysies too.

I'm also happy to help out where I can :)

Cheers
Nick

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Count me in.

FWIW: I will likely be out of pocket mostly this week but will review and comment as I can

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
+1, let me know how I can help.
[...]

Posted by sv...@gmail.com, sv...@gmail.com.
Please contact me - I'd be very interesting in contributing to the survey questions.

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:59 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
> > https://s.apache.org/lV9h ...
>
> It's certainly useful to run a survey again.
>
> I suggest modifying one question, "do you contribute to Apache as an
> individual or as an employee of a company".
>
> We insist on people acting as individuals towards our projects even if
> they work on company time, so I think the question can be slightly
> confusing.
>
> Rephrasing it as "do you contribute to Apache on your own time, or as
> part of paid work or employment" would better express what we're
> trying to find out.

I like your rephrasing of the question, Bertrand.

One of the metrics that keeps coming up in terms of project health, is what
percentage of a PMC each company has. In particular, when a project has a
PMC where 50% or more works at the same company. The diversity survey
probably isn't the right place, but this question along with which company
it is would be really helpful, if we kept it as part of the Apache user
information.

.. Owen

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:30 AM Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
> https://s.apache.org/lV9h ...

It's certainly useful to run a survey again.

I suggest modifying one question, "do you contribute to Apache as an
individual or as an employee of a company".

We insist on people acting as individuals towards our projects even if
they work on company time, so I think the question can be slightly
confusing.

Rephrasing it as "do you contribute to Apache on your own time, or as
part of paid work or employment" would better express what we're
trying to find out.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

Thanks for the initiative, please count me in as well.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> wrote:
> I guess you're referencing contributions to building project tracks at
> Apache* and other meet-up events (or do you regard these as 'operational')?

There are many ways we could engage.  But we won't know if it's
working if we aren't tracking any metrics.

: o),
Myrle

Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Great idea, Myrle.

I guess you're referencing contributions to building project tracks at
Apache* and other meet-up events (or do you regard these as 'operational')?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Great idea.

Re: ���������Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your comments, ideas and suggestions. Thanks also to the volunteer helpers - I will contacting some (or maybe all)  of you for help in various areas including reviews of the updated survey.

Just of info – I’ve also been talking to the CHAOSS Diversity and Inclusion working group that are in the process of looking at defining some standard metrics around Diversity. With both my Comdev and Kibble hat on – I think this working group would be great for Apache to participate and have a presence in.

Also I’ve received  some feedback and advice via CHAOSS from people at other open source foundations that have run diversity surveys so will see what I can learn from their experiences too.

So the next step is that I’ll work on updating the survey, and use some or all of my volunteer helpers to provide me with some feedback then once we have finalised it, we’ll look to promote it so that we hopefully get more responses this time!

Thanks
Sharan

回复:Re: [DISCUSSION] Running another ASF Committer Diversity Survey

Posted by Liu Ted <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 3, 2018, at 11:58 AM, Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Would it make sense to add a question about the form of a
> participant's contribution?  (ie, code, marketing, QA, UX, tech docs,
> logo, organizational, and I know I'm forgetting something important
> please forgive me)  I'd be interested in seeing in numbers how good we
> are at recognizing non-code contributions with committership.

Helping users on the mailing list.

And great idea!

Regards,
Dave