Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/21 06:31:29 UTC

[REVIEW] Configuration required for node bundling config for DocumentNodeStore - OAK-1312

Hi Team,

Work for OAK-1312 is now in trunk. To enable this feature user has to
provision some config as content in repository. The config needs to be
created under '/jcr:system/rep:documentStore/bundlor' [1]

Example
-----
jcr:system
  rep:documentStore
    bundlor
      app:Asset{pattern = [jcr:content/metadata, jcr:content/renditions,
                          jcr:content/renditions/**, jcr:content]}
      nt:file{pattern = [jcr:content]}
-----

Key points
========

* This config is only required when system is using DocumentNodeStore
* Any change here would be picked via Observation
* Config is supposed to be changed only by system admin. So needs to
be secured (OAK-4959)
* Config can be changed anytime and would impact only newly created nodes.

Open Questions
============

Bootstrap default config
-------------------------------

Should we ship with a default config for nt:file (may be other like
rep:AccessControllable). If yes then how to do that. One way can be to
introduce a new 'WhiteboardRepositoryInitializer' and then
DocumentNodeStore can register one which bootstraps a default config

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1312?focusedCommentId=15387241&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15387241

Re: [REVIEW] Configuration required for node bundling config for DocumentNodeStore - OAK-1312

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
+1 for initializing the default config unconditionally

Regards
Julian

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Chetan,

Re “Should we ship with a default config”:

I vote for a small default config:
- default because: if the feature is always-on in trunk we will get better insights in day-to-day work (as opposed to switching it on only occasionally)
- small because: the optimal bundling is probably very specific to the application and its read-write patterns. Your suggestion to include nt:file (and maybe rep:AccessControllable) looks reasonable to me, though.

Cheers
Michael