Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/21 13:09:20 UTC

Toward 2.0...

Hi guys,

it's now 2 years we are working on 2.0, adding milestones after
milestones. 1.0 has been released nearly 6 years ago, and 1.5 was just
an intermediate version.

Basically, we can say that we are working on 2.0 since april 2007...

I think it's about time to get a 2.0 out now. The big bugs we had in
JDBM have been fixed, replication is petty much working, the Kerberos
server is also delivering tickets, I don't really know what we can add
in a milstone that would make 2.0 very different than what we have.

Of course, we have some important things to work on :
- Mavibot as a replacement for JDBM : this is an ongoing effort, but in
any case, it's just a new Partition. It can be added in a 2.1
- MINA 3 switch : again, this is a work in progress. It will bring
better performances on the network side, but nothing that can't want for
a 2.1
- Triggers/SP : not critical atm
- Replication : we currently support MMR with Syncrepl, we would like to
add delat-syncrepl, but this is not urgent (2.1)

Eveything else are just new features of improvements, that can wait for
minor releases.

Otherwise, we have a bunch of pending bugs that need to be reviewed and
fixed, and most important, we need a better documentation.

All in all, I think we are pretty much ready, and we can get a 2.0 done
by end of april or mid may.

thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Toward 2.0...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> it's now 2 years we are working on 2.0, adding milestones after
> milestones. 1.0 has been released nearly 6 years ago, and 1.5 was just
> an intermediate version.
>
> Basically, we can say that we are working on 2.0 since april 2007...
>
> I think it's about time to get a 2.0 out now. The big bugs we had in
> JDBM have been fixed, replication is petty much working, the Kerberos
> server is also delivering tickets,

This sentence below makes perfect sense.

> I don't really know what we can add
> in a milstone that would make 2.0 very different than what we have.
>
> Of course, we have some important things to work on :
> - Mavibot as a replacement for JDBM : this is an ongoing effort, but in
> any case, it's just a new Partition. It can be added in a 2.1
> - MINA 3 switch : again, this is a work in progress. It will bring
> better performances on the network side, but nothing that can't want for
> a 2.1
> - Triggers/SP : not critical atm
> - Replication : we currently support MMR with Syncrepl, we would like to
> add delat-syncrepl, but this is not urgent (2.1)
>
> Eveything else are just new features of improvements, that can wait for
> minor releases.

True.

> Otherwise, we have a bunch of pending bugs that need to be reviewed and
> fixed, and most important, we need a better documentation.
>
> All in all, I think we are pretty much ready, and we can get a 2.0 done
> by end of april or mid may.
>
> thoughts ?

In complete agreement.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: Toward 2.0...

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
My +1!

I think it's time to do it.

I'll probably propose the same thing for Studio.
We've been running in milestones for too long now.

How about the Apache Directory LDAP API ?
Should we also consider a 1.0.0 release soon?

AFAIK, the API has proven to be working pretty great since thousands of people are already using it (without even knowing) via Studio and we've not heard of many complaints.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud