Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be> on 2001/04/23 22:22:31 UTC

HTTPS requests via security proxy

I threw together a quick & dirty tunnel program that opens a tunnel
over an HTTP proxy. This should allow people to do HTTPS soap requests
over their so-called "security proxies".

Of course, a stand-alone tunnel program, acting as a proxy for requests,
is not the solution. I have no experience with the SSL libraries. I don't
know how to start off with a cleartext connection and then magically
convert a live socket to SSL, after the handshake is complete. SSLUtils
explicitly creates an SSL socket from scratch. Anybody volunteering
to resolve this? Bear in mind that the user ID/password proxy
authentication header should be part of the cleartext handshake.

More info on tunneling via http proxies here:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2817.txt
http://www.web-cache.com/Writings/Internet-Drafts/draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt

The protocol is dead easy. It's just a big gaping hole in a firewall
that allows you to do anything that all the other rules stop you from
doing. I've run an ssh session with X redirection over this thing. :-)

bfn, Wouter