Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Mearns <bm...@ieee.org> on 2009/08/20 21:16:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Is it okay to not use exportable ciphers?

For the sake of security, I'd like to configure my SSL/TLS server to
not allow export level ciphers (using the SSLCipherSuite directive).
Is this going to realistically limit the number of people who can use
a secure connection to my site? Specifically, will visitors from other
countries (outside the US) be able to support the stronger
(non-exportable) ciphers?

Thanks,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net

[users@httpd] how to purge/invalidate a site (including all its objects) or simply just an object from mod_cache

Posted by Jerome Yanga <jy...@esri.com>.
Hi everyone!

I found the thread below.

http://httpd.markmail.org/message/b3iz6vhy3h7a3oox?q=purge+invalidate

Is this the best way to purge/invalidate a site (including all its objects and succeeding URLs) or simply just an object from mod_cache?  If so, how do I use the patch?  Otherwise, can you point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
jyanga

Re: [users@httpd] Is it okay to not use exportable ciphers?

Posted by Crypto Sal <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 08/20/2009 03:40 PM, Brian Mearns wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Sander Temme<sc...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Aug 20, 2009, at 3:16 PM, Brian Mearns wrote:
>>

>>> For the sake of security, I'd like to configure my SSL/TLS server to
>>> not allow export level ciphers (using the SSLCipherSuite directive).
>>> Is this going to realistically limit the number of people who can use
>>> a secure connection to my site? Specifically, will visitors from other
>>> countries (outside the US) be able to support the stronger
>>> (non-exportable) ciphers?
>>>

>> You can configure a logfile to record what ciphers your users are currently
>> using, and draw conclusions from that.
>>
>> S.
>>
> [clip]
>
> Good idea, but I'm not currently getting many users. I'm thinking in
> the long term, I don't want to lock out potential visitors just
> because they're using weak crypto.
>
> -Brian

Brian,

Have you considered using Apache's "SGC"? There's a nice little blurb
about it in the Apache Docs.[
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html#upgradeenc ]

"How can I create an SSL server which accepts strong encryption only,
but allows export browsers to upgrade to stronger encryption?"

--Sal

Re: [users@httpd] Is it okay to not use exportable ciphers?

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: [users@httpd] Is it okay to not use exportable ciphers?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 20.08.09 15:16, Brian Mearns wrote:
> For the sake of security, I'd like to configure my SSL/TLS server to
> not allow export level ciphers (using the SSLCipherSuite directive).
> Is this going to realistically limit the number of people who can use
> a secure connection to my site? Specifically, will visitors from other
> countries (outside the US) be able to support the stronger
> (non-exportable) ciphers?

I did not have received and problem reports with setting:

SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT:!EXP:!LOW

for some time.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.