Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ravi Luthra <co...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/05 01:01:00 UTC

lock down plugin versions in enterprise poms?

At our company we maintain a top-level enterprise pom that all projects
inherit. We're considering adding versions to lock down our plugin versions.
What we are trying to avoid is having our build break because of a
third-party plugin upgrading on us unexpectedly.

I've heard that locking down the plugin version is a bad practice mostly
because of major versions of Maven being released. Is this really a bad
practice?

What consequences would we face if we locked down our versions and upgraded
them on our own, rather than allowing Maven to choose for us?

Thanks,
Ravi

Re: lock down plugin versions in enterprise poms?

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
You should lock down plugin versions in your enterprise pom. Whomever told you otherwise was on crack.

Justin

Posted by Ravi Luthra <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all, we know where to go from here!

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ravi,

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 5 May 2010 00:01, Ravi Luthra <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At our company we maintain a top-level enterprise pom that all projects
> inherit. We're considering adding versions to lock down our plugin
> versions.
> What we are trying to avoid is having our build break because of a
> third-party plugin upgrading on us unexpectedly.
>
> I've heard that locking down the plugin version is a bad practice mostly
> because of major versions of Maven being released. Is this really a bad
> practice?

You heard wrong.

Locking down the plugin versions is best practice

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
It is totally best practice to lock your plugin versions and much more
down. Depending on the usage of your company pom and the content you could
even introduce a company super pom.

Have a look here for what I mean.

http://www.mosabuam.com/2009/10/company-super-pom-a-maven-practice

manfred