Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wise, Bowden (Research)" <wi...@crd.ge.com> on 2002/08/27 20:01:37 UTC

Which code/method handles HTTP GET requests for Tomcat ?

HI

I have noticed some bizarre behavior when using a URL and URLConnection
to download an XML file from a tomcat webapp...  I am finding that I
get the OLD content (cached?) rather than the new content even
though the file has chaned.

I wrote a simple java program so there is no browser in the middle
- write to the file
- read content
- write new content
- second read of content
the second read always returns the first content when tested
under Tomcat but when testing on an Apache web server
this problem does not happen as the new content is always
returned.

If a pause of  5 seconds is inserted between the first read and the
write of the new content, the latst data is obtained by
the second read...
however, a pause of 1 second still reveals the old content

Does the tomcat cache mechanism need a few seconds
before it realizes that a file has changed??

In any case, I wanted to look at the tomcat code to see where the
server proceses the HTTP GET request is handled... can somone point me to this
code?

thanks,

Bowden
g GE Global Research Center
G. Bowden Wise
 <ma...@research.ge.com> wisegb@research.ge.com
Information and Decision Technologies
GE Global Research Center
Building K1, Room 5B2C
PO Box 8                            | One Research Circle
Schenectady, NY 12301       | Niskayuna NY 12309
Phone: 518-387-7833           | Fax: 518-387-6104