Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2017/03/23 13:44:34 UTC

camel-spring-dm feature incompatible to most other features of camel 2.18.3

Camel 2.18.3 seems to have upgraded most camel modules to spring 4.
The only exemption is the camel-spring-dm feature which depends on
spring < 4.

As far as I know this causes camel 2.18.3 to not work on karaf when
using camel-spring-dm with any of the other camel modules that require
spring 4. Do others have the same experience?

What is our position about this as a community? Can we somehow upgrade
spring-dm to spring 4 or is it simply impossible to use it now?

In case we can not make it work I propose to remove the camel-spring-dm
feature so users know that it is not supported any more.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: camel-spring-dm feature incompatible to most other features of camel 2.18.3

Posted by Ygor Castor <yg...@gmail.com>.
I've created a simple test here under Karaf 4.0.9 , Spring 4.2.9, Gemini
2.0.0 and Camel 2.19.0-SNAPSHOT.

2017-04-12 16:21:31,564 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 |
OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext  | 52 -
org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring-context - 4.2.9.RELEASE_1 | Refreshing
OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=br.com.pcsist.myaudit.wta-myaudit-domain,
config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml): startup date [Wed Apr 12 16:21:31
BRT 2017]; root of context hierarchy
2017-04-12 16:21:31,566 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 |
OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext  | 52 -
org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring-context - 4.2.9.RELEASE_1 | Application
Context service already unpublished
2017-04-12 16:21:31,567 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | XmlBeanDefinitionReader
| 51 - org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring-beans - 4.2.9.RELEASE_1 |
[bundle://164.0:0/META-INF/spring/applicationContext.xml]
2017-04-12 16:21:31,645 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | CamelNamespaceHandler
| 165 - org.apache.camel.camel-gemini - 2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | OSGi environment
detected.
2017-04-12 16:21:32,252 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 |
WaiterApplicationContextExecutor | 58 -
org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender - 2.0.0.RELEASE | No outstanding OSGi
service dependencies, completing initialization for
OsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=br.com.pcsist.myaudit.wta-myaudit-domain,
config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)
2017-04-12 16:21:32,311 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | OsgiSpringCamelContext
| 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | Apache Camel
2.19.0-SNAPSHOT (CamelContext: camel-1) is starting
2017-04-12 16:21:32,311 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 |
ManagedManagementStrategy        | 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core -
2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | JMX is enabled
2017-04-12 16:21:32,346 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 |
DefaultRuntimeEndpointRegistry   | 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core -
2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | Runtime endpoint registry is in extended mode gathering
usage statistics of all incoming and outgoing endpoints (cache limit: 1000)
2017-04-12 16:21:32,347 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | OsgiSpringCamelContext
| 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | StreamCaching is not
in use. If using streams then its recommended to enable stream caching. See
more details at http://camel.apache.org/stream-caching.html
2017-04-12 16:21:32,347 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | OsgiSpringCamelContext
| 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | Total 0 routes, of
which 0 are started.
2017-04-12 16:21:32,347 | INFO  | ExtenderThread-1 | OsgiSpringCamelContext
| 159 - org.apache.camel.camel-core - 2.19.0.SNAPSHOT | Apache Camel
2.19.0-SNAPSHOT (CamelContext: camel-1) started in 0.037 seconds

I've just swapped the BundleAwareContext from spring-dm to gemini and some
minor changes in the pom.xml.

If it's a good alternative, i can do some more extensive tests.

Re: camel-spring-dm feature incompatible to most other features of camel 2.18.3

Posted by Ygor Castor <yg...@gmail.com>.
For spring-dm is quite impossible to use Spring 4, but Gemini Blueprint has
recently added support to spring 4.x, i'm testing for some time under karaf
and it works quite ok.

Maybe it's possible to change the spring-dm feature to use the BundleAware
from Gemini instead of spring-dm one, should work ok. I'll test that.

Re: camel-spring-dm feature incompatible to most other features of camel 2.18.3

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Just in case we going to disable it so its not in the features file.
But the JAR is still build and released

Then it can be dropped/removed totally in 2.20 or 3.0 at the latest.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Logged a ticket