Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/02/07 07:57:07 UTC

Re: NDA requirements (was: list stuff)

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Sorry for the late reply. Not been at the computer most of the last week.
>
> I know the feeling.  Been sick myself and then a touch of travel.
>
> List is done.  You have been added as a moderator.   If you don't mind,
> please continue to ask that all get NDAs signed, but don't let that stop
> you from adding a Member - out-of-order is fine for members on the
> theory that there's some [weird] implicit NDA in place...

Thanks Geir. Can I get clarification on one point about the NDA, since
you are the one with the legal responsibility:

a) are non-members whose employer has signed the JSPA required to sign
an individual NDA? (specifically, Steve has raised this with regards to
HP - note that HP is not on the 277 EG itself though)

b) if members of a) are required to sign an NDA, are Sun employees any
exception to this?

Thanks,
Brett

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Brett Porter wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Yes, but as I don't follow the discussion, I didn't know if it would be
>> possible to shadow the topics w/o giving away confidential information.
>>  This is the problem - what is confidential....
>>
>> I wonder if you could get assent from the EG to talk about specific
>> concepts  - like tell them what you are doing "I have an interest list
>> that isn't under NDA... can I discuss $foo to see what they think?"
>>

> I think the problem is I have no idea what $foo is at this point.

You are on the EG :)  You should know what $foo is.

It's a
> chicken and egg problem - we have people interested, but until there is
> understanding of where its at we don't know what is interesting.

Yes, that's true.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Yes, but as I don't follow the discussion, I didn't know if it would be
> possible to shadow the topics w/o giving away confidential information.
>  This is the problem - what is confidential....
>
> I wonder if you could get assent from the EG to talk about specific
> concepts  - like tell them what you are doing "I have an interest list
> that isn't under NDA... can I discuss $foo to see what they think?"

I think the problem is I have no idea what $foo is at this point. It's a
chicken and egg problem - we have people interested, but until there is
understanding of where its at we don't know what is interesting.

Let's start where we are at now, and see where it takes us.

> I dunno. I'm trying... :)

Thanks :)

- Brett

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Brett Porter wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Brett et al : do you think it's possible to run this as a completely
>> open list, that the onus is on you to filter and scrub information that
>> you move across the boundary?  IOW, you don't ever forward mail, you
>> don't move code across the boundary...  I don't know what kinds of
>> things are being discussed in the EG, but can concepts be discussed "in
>> general" on the 277 open list?
>
> I don't think this would be possible until at least the public draft is
> available. Discussing Java modularity out of context of the JSR is a
> rather large topic. My understanding of the list was to allow discussing
> the specifics of the JSR, not general discussion which there are
> probably other forums we could use.

Yes, but as I don't follow the discussion, I didn't know if it would be
possible to shadow the topics w/o giving away confidential information.
  This is the problem - what is confidential....

I wonder if you could get assent from the EG to talk about specific
concepts  - like tell them what you are doing "I have an interest list
that isn't under NDA... can I discuss $foo to see what they think?"

I dunno. I'm trying... :)

geir

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Brett et al : do you think it's possible to run this as a completely
>> open list, that the onus is on you to filter and scrub information that
>> you move across the boundary?  IOW, you don't ever forward mail, you
>> don't move code across the boundary...  I don't know what kinds of
>> things are being discussed in the EG, but can concepts be discussed "in
>> general" on the 277 open list?
>
> I don't think this would be possible until at least the public draft is
> available. Discussing Java modularity out of context of the JSR is a
> rather large topic. My understanding of the list was to allow discussing
> the specifics of the JSR, not general discussion which there are
> probably other forums we could use.
>
> What did others think/expect?

I think its best to keep its closed. That way nobody on the mail list
needs to be circumspect.

One thing I would like you to strive for is making that test suite
public once the spec goes up, so that when apache goes to do the impl,
we dont have a secret test suite that you can't discuss in -dev lists,
post snippets of on bugreps, etc.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Steve Loughran wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> What's conflicting?   We're trying to avoid messes like these....
>
> well, its just the problem of having do another NDA. Theres no conflict
> of interest yet, but if I get to find out something on the mail list
> that I shouldnt disclose to HP, then I have a problem, and I dont want
> to go there. Its a bit like how I make a point of never looking at the
> source to unix, winnt, vms or java, even though they are on filestores
> somewhere, because it makes it harder to write OSS code.

Right. The issue here seems to be the confidentiality requirement of the
material, rather than the NDA itself.  If it was a verbal agreement,
you'd be bound by same conditions, and have the same problems.  This is
why the JCP thing is so awful, and why we push to open it where and when
we can.  The whole discussion of whether or not a member signs an NDA,
or agrees to same conditions, doesn't change anything.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> What's conflicting?   We're trying to avoid messes like these....

well, its just the problem of having do another NDA. Theres no conflict
of interest yet, but if I get to find out something on the mail list
that I shouldnt disclose to HP, then I have a problem, and I dont want
to go there. Its a bit like how I make a point of never looking at the
source to unix, winnt, vms or java, even though they are on filestores
somewhere, because it makes it harder to write OSS code.

-steve

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: NDA requirements

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Brett Porter wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>> Brett Porter wrote:
>>> Sorry for the late reply. Not been at the computer most of the last week.
>> I know the feeling.  Been sick myself and then a touch of travel.
>>
>> List is done.  You have been added as a moderator.   If you don't mind,
>> please continue to ask that all get NDAs signed, but don't let that stop
>> you from adding a Member - out-of-order is fine for members on the
>> theory that there's some [weird] implicit NDA in place...
>>

> Thanks Geir. Can I get clarification on one point about the NDA, since
> you are the one with the legal responsibility:

Ultimately it's the ASF, but given we have no D&O insurance, I suppose
that in some twisted and alternative universe that I hope never to live
in, my house is on the line...  I keep thinking that it would be prudent
to put in my wife's name, so when I go off to JCP Process Prison, her
and the kids aren't tossed out into the mean streets :)  I actually
don't think there is real risk here, but of our keister is well-covered
by a simple piece of paper...