Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/31 17:13:04 UTC

nested faceting ?

hi

We already have faceting on our site.

I am loading devices and accessories in solr index. deviceType indicates if
its a device or accessory

All other attributes are same for device and accessory. When query results
come back I would like to display someting like

Devices
+Manucaturer (100)
  - Samsung (50)
  - Sharp (50)
Accessories
+Manufacturer(1000)
 -Samsung (500)
 -Apple(500)

How would my query look like in this case?
Is it possible with solr or do i need to implement this at applicaton level
by parsing ersponse from SOLR?

Re: nested faceting ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: All other attributes are same for device and accessory. When query results
: come back I would like to display someting like
:
: Devices
: +Manucaturer (100)
:   - Samsung (50)
:   - Sharp (50)
: Accessories
: +Manufacturer(1000)
:  -Samsung (500)
:  -Apple(500)
:
: How would my query look like in this case?

what you are describing sounds like Pivot Faceting, which is currently
under development...

...the majority of it has been commited to the trunk, but the issue is
still open as some of the kinks are worked out.

-Hoss

Re: nested faceting ?

Posted by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com>.
thanks this helped

Re: nested faceting ?

Posted by cyang2010 <ys...@hotmail.com>.
I think what you are trying to achieve is called taxonomy facet.

There is a solution for that.  Check for the slides for Taxonomy faceting.
http://www.lucidimagination.com/solutions/webcasts/faceting

However, i don't know if you are able to render the hierachy all at once.
The solution i point is for one hierachry at a time.

devices (100)
accessories (1000)

if "device" is selected/clicked, then show -->

Samsung (50)
Sharp(50)

If "Accessories" is selected/clicked, then show -->
Samsung (500)
Apple(500)

Re: nested faceting ?

Posted by Grijesh <pi...@gmail.com>.
Another Patch is also available for Hierarchical faceting is

You can look at this ,may solve your problem

-----
Thanx:
Grijesh

Re: nested faceting ?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't think you'll be able to do this with your present schema, the
information
isn't available in the faceting response, you'd get something like
<manufacturers>1100</manufacturers> and no way to know that 1,000
of them were accessories.

You could change the values in your index to something like
"accessories_manufacturer" and "device_manufacturer" and get at the
info that way.

If you're on trunk, grouping might help too.

I admit I'm on my way out the door so this is an "off the cuff" answer,
maybe
I'm overlooking the obvious (again!)....

Best
Erick