Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/30 07:38:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] PIP-265: PR-based system for managing and reviewing PIPs

Hi,

I've summarized all comments from
https://lists.apache.org/thread/5kpddlfh5xdbsjmv47ymnk3z6wd92jbh into a PIP.

PIP: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/20207
<https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/20207>

I'm leaving this discussion open for 2-3 days to make sure I haven't missed
a comment, and proceed to vote, since we had most of the discussion already
in the link provided above.

Thanks!

Asaf

Re: [DISCUSS] PIP-265: PR-based system for managing and reviewing PIPs

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 1:06 PM PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for driving the improvements in proposal managing and reviewing.
> The proposal looks good to me. I have only one question about the dir name
> for the pips.
>
> For now, we have
> https://github.com/apache/pulsar/tree/master/wiki/proposals
> Is it better to use the existing one? Or change the existing one to "pip".
> I mean, we'd better don't use two dirs for proposals.

I fixed the PIP by adding:

This will replace existing `wiki/proposal/PIP.md`which will be merged into
> the README.

All links pointing to that `PIP.md` file (from wiki, pulsar-site) will be

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 1:06 PM PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for driving the improvements in proposal managing and reviewing.
> The proposal looks good to me. I have only one question about the dir name
> for the pips.
>
> For now, we have
> https://github.com/apache/pulsar/tree/master/wiki/proposals
> Is it better to use the existing one? Or change the existing one to "pip".
> I mean, we'd better don't use two dirs for proposals.

Those two files "pip.md" and "pip-template.md" are not displayed anywhere,
right?
It's "wiki" folder, but it's not displayed in the wiki, right?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2023, at 5:58 AM, Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Pulsar

>> > Does Docusaurus support Mermaid? The design documents for a PIP should be
>

>> > available for easy inclusion in pulsar-site.
>

>> Do we have plans to have a section dedicated to displays PIPs on the
>

>> website ?
>

> We should make sure it is easy to convert a PIP into user documentation of
> what is finally merged.

I went through some documentation. While Docusaurus is not listed it should be
possible to find a way to use Mermaid in pulsar-site. It will be work someone
will need to do.

[|
[Usage](https://mermaid.js.org/config/usage.html)[mermaid.js.org](https://mermaid.js.org/config/usage.html)|
[![favicon.ico](cid:B93DFF6D-C2E8-476D-8DD8-4B96202BD0D7)](https://mermaid.js.org/config/usage.html)
---|---
](https://mermaid.js.org/config/usage.html)

Best,

Dave

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
I pushed the first PR defining the new process:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/20418

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.
I've also updated the doc regarding images, adding:

### Handling images
Since documents will now reside as files in git, we need to avoid large
image files.
Hence, we'll specify to author that images needs to be created using
[mermaidJS](https://mermaid.js.org/#/) diagram language, which GitHub
supports rendering. It covers 99% of the cases. For the 1% case, they can
use small file size format SVG, and make sure the file is 1k-5k size.

Since I haven't any other blocker for this PIP discussed and this issue has
been in discussion for almost 2 months, I'll open the vote for the PIP.

Thanks!

Asaf

Posted by Asaf Mesika <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.