Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com> on 2002/08/18 04:28:09 UTC

IMAP LIST command

(oops I sent this to the wrong newsgroup)

Hi Jamesers....(jamesies?) --

In my quest to get my mailserver up and running I've stumbled upon
james.... nice....thanks.

However, it looks like its a few parsecs short of an imap server and I
find that kind of thing kinda fun.  Anyhow, I was trying to work my way
through the unit tests... unit tests are good....

I noticed these things (please correct me or add input):

1. Test Suite
   a. James's testsuite needs a little work, the simple string matching
requires some hand editing for things like *servername* and other such
things.  Some method of setting/passing parameters seems to be in order.
   b. Secondly, in some tests the server response may be in a different
order and that may be okay.  The RFC seems to say "do it fast" in a few
instances rather than "make sure you do it like this"...  The test
language should be able to say "*whatever order happens to be*".
   c. Third, some of the code (at least in the case of the IMAP server)
seems a bit redundant or unnecessarily complicated for calling the test
scripts, there may be a really good reason for this, but it seems like
there doesn't need to be so many classes, maybe just a parameter file
that defines the order for the scripts...

2. LIST/LSUB/etc
   a. On my system LIST command seems to fail the unit tests.  At first
glance it looked like either JAMES was returning the response in the
wrong order, or the test was in the wrong order, however, the RFC (2060)
seems to say "return it as quick as possible" (which seems to argue
against sorting/ordering).  Am I reading this correctly or does the
order basically not matter?  (in which case it goes back to enhancing
the test suite)

Thoughts?

-Andy

Re: IMAP LIST command

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>(oops I sent this to the wrong newsgroup)
>
>Hi Jamesers....(jamesies?) --
>
>In my quest to get my mailserver up and running I've stumbled upon
>james.... nice....thanks.
>
>However, it looks like its a few parsecs short of an imap server and I
>find that kind of thing kinda fun.

Hi Andrew,

IMAP development has been stopped for some time but has regained
interest recently, thanks to several new developers.  So keep your
comments coming, and don't hesitate to submit code.

--
!try; do()