Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by piyush hari <pi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/29 18:49:29 UTC

"messages" component on PDAs

Hello,

I have two questions regarding PDA renderers for "messages" component.

 *1) Can we make one common renderer for PDA and Desktop for a "messages"
component ?*

Desktop and PDAs have different renderers for a "messages" component. They
are both located in
org->apache->myfaces>trinidadinternal->ui->laf->base->pda/desktop->
MessageboxRenderer.java

 With current trinidad code, on a desktop, the demo-app renders a message
box that displays messageType (like Error) and the message (Label :
Conversion Error)  in the following format: (see desktop_messages.JPG)

 On Pocket PCs (PIE and IE mobile) PDA message box is not rendered and it
displays nothing.

I did not understand why in the first place we need a different renderer for
PDAs ? So, I tried something different. I copied the contents of DESKTOP
MessageBoxRenderer.java into the PDA MessageBoxRenderer.java of a PDA. And
it worked !!! PDA displays errors in the desired format. Everything appears
same
as desktop except the skin and the absence of Error Icon (X) on left of
Label which I think are skinning issues. (see pda_messages.JSPX)

*2) Since, limited screen size is a handicap on a PDA device, it does not
make sense to show messages that are specific to a component (in this case
an inputText) within  "tr:messages" component (Label : Conversion Error) as
well as below the component they belong to. (ex: Specified value is not a
val....).*
*In that case, shall I alter the PDA renderer from 1) to exclude any
messages being added to the "messages" component if they are specific to a
component?
*
**

Sincerely,
Piyush Hari

Re: "messages" component on PDAs

Posted by Piyush Hari <pi...@oracle.com>.
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I did not realize that globalOnly was a property of af:messages.  In that
case,
 I say that by default we SHOULD render all messages just like the desktop.
The
user can choose to set globalOnly to true for PDAs if they want.  This gives
ultimate control to the user.

In terms of the disclosure, etc., I don't think we have time for that.  For
now I want
to implement it as the desktop does, to limit the number of areas the app
developer
might have to configure.

I agree that the renderers for PDAs and Desktop should be different.

Thanks,
Piyush

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
Piyush,