Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jboy79 <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2011/06/20 06:38:37 UTC

Multiple Cores

Hi, I am new to SOLR and would like to know if multiple cores is the best way
to deal with having a product and customer index. If this is the case how do
you go about indexing on multiple cores.
Thanks

Re: Multiple Cores

Posted by Shaun Campbell <ca...@gmail.com>.
I would say it all depends on what you are trying to do.  Unlike a
relational database, in Solr the data does not need to be normalised, you
need to put everything into an index so that you can achieve whatever
feature it is that you want.  For example, you may search on customer and
want a facetted count of the products.

Also in Solr you have the concept of multi valued fields, therefore you
could have a product index with a multi valued field that stores say
customer id, thereby linking products and customers in one index.

We have multiple cores which we had to create for various reasons.  To
access the cores for indexing (or searching) you just have to refer to the
cores by their names in any Solr URLs or in the Java client etc.

I think it all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve.  It's best
to read a good book such as
http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/book and see what
can be achieved and design your indexes accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Re: Multiple Cores

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM, jboy79 <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am new to SOLR and would like to know if multiple cores is the best way
> to deal with having a product and customer index.

If the indexes are going to have very different fields, it is probably
the case that
you want to go with multiple Solr cores.

>                                                                         If this is the case how do
> you go about indexing on multiple cores.

Similar to the way that you would do it with a single core, e.g.,
http://localhost:8983/solr/dataimport/?command=full-import would
be replaced by
http://localhost:8983/solr/core0/dataimport/?command=full-import
assuming that you have a core named "core0". Please take a look
at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin , if you have not done so
already.

Regards,
Gora