Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/18 15:37:39 UTC

SAX classes in JAR wreaking havoc

Hi,

Why do have the SAX classes in our CVS? I just spent two hours tracking
down a 'loader constraint violation' which was the result of having the
SAX classes in the xmlrpc JAR. The package compiles just fine without
them if you have xerces in your ANT_HOME/lib.

If they need to be in the jar for embedded purposes can we please change
the build so that we have a jar without the SAX classes? say xmlrpc.jar
and xmlrpc-full.jar?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: SAX classes in JAR wreaking havoc

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 14:17, John Wilson wrote:
>>
>> We need a subset of the SAX 1 classes for a stand alone XML-RPC jar with
>> MinML (the MinML distribution contains this subset). Note that moving to a
>> later version of the SAX1 classes will cause deprecation warnings as the SAX
>> 1 stuff has now been deprecated in favour of SAX2.
>>
>> At some point we might want to consider moving from SAX1 to SAX2 (and from
>> MinML to MinML2). It buys us precisely nothing in terms of functionality but
>> does not have any significant cost in terms of performance.
>
> So what does this mean now? The presence of the classes are causing
> problems. I thrown together a JAR without those classes to get the
> Turbine builds working again but this is a stopgap solution. Can we
> package the ancillary classes in a second JAR and tell people to use
> this if they need to? This is how it was originally wasn't it?

They're probably already available separately.  I would be okay with
removing them from the XML-RPC JAR, since they are causing problems.
John, comments?

FWIW, I would also be in favor of moving to MinML2.

Re: SAX classes in JAR wreaking havoc

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> Why do have the SAX classes in our CVS? I just spent two hours tracking
> down a 'loader constraint violation' which was the result of having the
> SAX classes in the xmlrpc JAR. The package compiles just fine without
> them if you have xerces in your ANT_HOME/lib.

Oooh, that's a fun one.  I've hit that too with Catalina.

> If they need to be in the jar for embedded purposes can we please change
> the build so that we have a jar without the SAX classes? say xmlrpc.jar
> and xmlrpc-full.jar?

I hate that -full crap -- let's do just one JAR.  John, I assume
removing the interfaces bytecode would cause run-time problems if they
were not present separately?  At the very least, we might want to
update them to a more recent version.

Dan

Re: SAX classes in JAR wreaking havoc

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.