Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Imran Ahmed <im...@eaxiom.net> on 2017/10/30 17:56:00 UTC

Bandwith limit on guests

Hi All,

WE are facing a bandwidth problem on our cloudstack guests. (cloudstack 4.8
with KVM  on CentOS)

The network and vm throttling was set at 200mbs, and we're seeing a max on
the guests of 25MB/sec (just slightly over the throttle).  I set the values
to 0, restarted the management server and stopped/started the virtual
router.  However, the guests are still only seeing 25MB/sec to an NFS share.
I performed the same test to the same NFS share on a physical machine and it
reached the full gigabit network speed (just over 100MB/sec).

Any ideas please?

Kind regards,

Imran

Re: Bandwith limit on guests

Re: Bandwith limit on guests

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
During your experiment, you can always confirm what speeds are set on each
VNET/NIC of the VM - this below, is 1Gbps limit (multiple 131072 by 8KB =
1Gbps)

root@XXXXX:~# virsh domiflist i-2-5-VM
Interface  Type       Source     Model       MAC
vnet0      bridge     brvx-812   virtio      02:00:05:6a:00:01

root@XXXXX:~# virsh domiftune i-2-5-VM vnet0
inbound.average: 131072
inbound.peak   : 131072
inbound.burst  : 0
outbound.average: 131072
outbound.peak  : 131072
outbound.burst : 0
Or if

root@XXXXXX:~# tc class show dev vnet0
class htb 1:1 root leaf 2: prio 0 rate 1049Mbit ceil 1049Mbit burst 1441b
cburst 1441b

Not very readable though...

My experience so far (as Angus already explained)

- Define network speed on Compute Offerings, don't really on global config
- this set inbound/outbound speed on the NIC of the VM (vnetXYZ)
- Define network speed on the Network Offering (Network offerings for VPC)
- again dont rely on global config...this set inbound/outbound speed of the
Public VR NIC - BUT ALSO ON ALL OHTER VR NIC...

Anyone knows if possible to have public VR NIC to i.e. 100 Mbps, while all
internal interfaces are 1Gbps ? I didn't find it possible so far...I see
that all internal NIC always inherit pulbic NIC speed/traffic shaping

Best
Andrija

--

Andrija Panić