Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/04 01:28:14 UTC

Plugin installation problems

We've been seeing severe plugin installation problems in the gbuild
build; it looks like the plugins built in (the equivalent of )new1 are
not available for use in (the equivalent of) new4 or new5.  After
looking at some maven plugin plugin jelly code I think this might be
because plugin:install and plugin:install-now are interfering with each
other and that running both will never work.

I've modified what we run in the plugins to this:

     <goal name="plugin:install" prereqs="plugin:plugin">
         <attainGoal name="plugin:install-now"/>
         <attainGoal name="plugin:repository-install"/>
         <copy file="${maven.build.dir}/${maven.final.name}.jar"
           todir="${maven.plugin.dir}" />
      </goal>

which IIUC should have the same effects as plugin:install
plugin:install-now plugin:repository-install without the interference.
However whether your build works after messing with plugins seems to be
very dependent on what was there before, so please look out for and
report problems.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Plugin installation problems

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
plugin:install-now is the same as plugin install, but it loads into
the running Maven and updates the cache, like using a plugin
dependency. You are right that they are probably incompatible.

plugin:repository-install is only useful if you are later using it as
a dependency. Maven doesn't use the repository for plugins otherwise,
and this goal doesn't affect the cache.

HTH,
Brett