Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net> on 2011/01/13 22:28:59 UTC

start value in queries zero or one based?

Do I even need a body for this message? ;-)

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

RE: start value in queries zero or one based?

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
You could have tried it and seen for yourself on any Solr server in your possession in less time than it took to have this thread. And if you don't have a Solr server, then why do you care?

But the answer is 0.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#start
"The default value is "0""

Since the default start is 0, and if you leave start out you don't always skip the first item of your result set, that means if you DO want to skip the first item if your result set, start=1 will do it.

I'm migrating to CTO/CEO status in life due to building a small company. I find
I don't have too much time for theory. I work with wht is.

So, what is it, not what should it be.

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------

On Jan 13, 2011, at 1:28 PM, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Do I even need a body for this message? ;-)
>
> Dennis Gearon

Are you asking "is it" or "should it be"? If the latter, we can also discuss
Emacs and vi.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
K6WRU

Re: start value in queries zero or one based?

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
> Please, read every wiki page you can find and write notes.

NO!!!  Once you start down this road, there is no turning back!  Soon you will feel the need to turn your notes into a new wiki page or a blog post, and people will read those and write notes, and the process will repeat, ad infinitum: a Vicious Circle of Writing (VCoW).   Please, please, please: Don't have a VCoW, man!

Re: start value in queries zero or one based?

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Perhaps it would be more useful to RTFM instead of messing around on the
mailing list: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#start