Posted to user@drill.apache.org by WeiWan <we...@sunteng.com> on 2017/01/03 08:35:57 UTC

IndexR, a new storage plugin for Drill

IndexR is a distributed, columnar storage system based on HDFS, which focus on fast analyse, both for massive static(historical) data and rapidly ingesting realtime data. IndexR is designed for OLAP.

Fast analyze on large dataset
Realtime ingestion with zero delay for query
Deep integration with Hadoop ecosystem
Hardware efficiency
Highly avaliable, scalable, manageable and simple
Adapted with popular query engines like Apache Drill, Apache Hive, etc.

And now it is open source.

Project: https://github.com/shunfei/indexr <https://github.com/shunfei/indexr>
Wiki: https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki <https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki>

IndexR is original developed by Sunteng Tech. This project started a year ago and now has been deployed to several productions in our company. The whole cluster consumes over 30 billions events each day in realtime from Kafka. The largest table contains over 10 billions rows (after rollup) and rapidly increasing. Most of the statistic/analyze queries’ latency is less than 3 seconds in real world production environment.

Currently it is mainly used as Drill and Hive storage plugin. It should be quite easy to master.

We hope IndexR be a favor to you and make it better.

Regards
Flow Wei

Re: IndexR, a new storage plugin for Drill

Posted by WeiWan <we...@sunteng.com>.
Hi Robin,

That is a very good question really. Our team knows Apache Kudu at the very beginning of IndexR project.
They do share some commons:
* streaming ingestion
* both claim fast analytics ability
* columnar storage
* Hadoop integration

And there are many differences:
* Currently IndexR is not a stand alone database, it needs an query engine like Drill to provide query ability. Kudu can be used independently.
* According to document, Kudu provides “competitive random access performance”. IndexR does not promise. It doesn’t have primary index and rough set index is not design for that. IndexR is not designed for OLTP.
* IndexR does not support updates while Kudu does. In realtime ingestion, IndexR accepts row events and simply append to latest segments, maybe do some rearranges or merges for performance. This greatly reduce system complexity and let IndexR focus on achieving as much performance as possible. IndexR offers very high ingestion and scan speed with relatively small memory/cpu/io cost.
* IndexR stores data on HDFS and those data are Hive queryable and manageable. Means we can do online and offline analyze on the same data.
* etc.

I have heard that some teams using Kudu as write optimized format and Parquet as read optimized format, combined them by Impala, constantly transform them by mapredue. This process and mechanism have been implemented in IndexR.

Regards
Flow Wei

Posted by Robin Moffatt <ro...@rittmanmead.com>.
Hi Flow Wei,

Posted by WeiWan <we...@sunteng.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Weiwan,

Posted by WeiWan <we...@sunteng.com>.
Hi,

Compilation:  https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/Compilation <https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/Compilation>
Deployment:  https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/Deployment <https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/Deployment>
User Guide:  https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/User-Guide <https://github.com/shunfei/indexr/wiki/User-Guide>

Posted by Chunhui Shi <cs...@maprtech.com>.
Congratulations to IndexR team! What is your plan to add indexR storage
plugin to Drill? Cannot wait to try it out with Drill.

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org>.

Posted by WeiWan <we...@sunteng.com>.
Hi Charles,

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
This looks very interesting! Can't wait to see some how-to's to get the the
server nodes setup, and kafka pipelines setup.  I'd be very interested in
trying this once it's setup.

Thanks!