Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/22 20:07:18 UTC

[VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

This is the first incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
0.1.0-incubating.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12317549&styleName=Html&projectId=12311420

*** Please download, test, and vote by Thursday, August 24 (3 working days
from now)

Note that we are voting on the source (tag).

Source tarball, checksums, signature:
http://people.apache.org/~abayer/bigtop-0.1.0-incubating-candidate-2/<http://people.apache.org/~abayer/bigtop-0.1.0-incubating-candidate-0/>

The tag to be voted on:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.1.0-incubating-RC2
(svn rev. 1160352)

Bigtop's KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS

Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote on the release after a successful
PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Thanks!

A.

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
The vote has passed, with 8 +1s from Bigtop PPMC members, a non-binding -1
from a non-PPMC/IPMC member, and 3 +1s from Incubator PMC members.

+1 Andrew Bayer *
-1 Eric Yang
+1 Bruno Mahe *
+1 Roman Shaposhnik *
+1 Peter Linnell *
+1 Doug Cutting +
+1 Patrick Hunt *+
+1 Tom White *+
+1 Andre Arcilla *
+1 Edward Yoon *

* indicates Bigtop PPMC
+ indcates Incubator PMC

Thank you all for voting, and for helping make sure we did the release
properly!

A.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Andre Arcilla <ar...@apache.org>.
+1

checksums are fine, builds sdebs/debs fine.

Posted by Andre Arcilla <ar...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@cloudera.com>.
On 08/22/2011 01:49 PM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 11:07 AM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
>> This is the first incubator release for Apache Bigtop, version
>> 0.1.0-incubating.
>>
>> It fixes the following issues:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12317549&styleName=Html&projectId=12311420
>>
>> *** Please download, test, and vote by Thursday, August 24 (3 working days
>> from now)
>>
>> Note that we are voting on the source (tag).
>>
>> Source tarball, checksums, signature:
>> http://people.apache.org/~abayer/bigtop-0.1.0-incubating-candidate-2/<http://people.apache.org/~abayer/bigtop-0.1.0-incubating-candidate-0/>
>>
>> The tag to be voted on:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.1.0-incubating-RC2
>> (svn rev. 1160352)
>>
>> Bigtop's KEYS file, containing the PGP keys used to sign the release:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS
>>
>> Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote on the release after a successful
>> PPMC vote before any release can be made official.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> A.
>>

> +1 Non binding.
>
> Even though I am still annoyed by not being able to build on openSUSE
> and Mageia, it is more important to focus on getting Apache release
> process right.

I agree it is more important to get the release process sorted for 0.1

+1

Thanks,

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

I verified signatures and checksums, and ran RAT.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
> imho this is a non issue for this release because:
> * A discussion has just started on bigtop-dev mailing list about that
> question.

For the benefit of those exclusively on general@incubator.apache.org: the thread
that Bruno mentioned has also established that to the best of our knowledge
there have NOT been any releases of community packaging artifacts for any
of the projects that Bigtop cares about(*). As of today,  the danger of overlap
with existing artifacts is non-existent.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. In fact, at the moment, it is not even clear where such artifacts would
go if they get released. To the best of our knowledge Apache does not
have infrastructure for supporting APT/YUM/ZYPPER repos, nor does
it have any plans to bring it up in the near future.

Re: [VOTE] Release for Bigtop version 0.1.0-incubating RC2

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
imho this is a non issue for this release because:
* A discussion has just started on bigtop-dev mailing list about that
question.
* We don't have any build slaves yet, so no convenience artifacts built
from Apache. So no overlap or conflict can happen today
* This release is focused on getting the Apache release process right
And we intend to release often. So we can resolve that issue as soon as
the discussion around that matter is resolved

But what is wrong with the overlap? These are just non-mutually
exclusive separate efforts. And both are based on the very same
unpatched bits.
Whether the artifact come from projects themselves or BigTop, they are
installed as a conscious decision by a user. So if there is an overlap
this would happen only as the result of explicit actions made by a user
(ex: installing both repository at the same time).
They would also be aware of using BigTop artifacts because repository
should make an explicit mention about that (and would also very likely
named something like "BigTop-<BigTop_version>")

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Given that we're not releasing binary convenience artifacts for this
release, would this be something that could be fixed in 0.2.0-incubating
rather than this release?

A.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
blergh, sorry about the date and the DISCLAIMER text. Fixing the DISCLAIMER
on trunk now. I've also done BIGTOP-26 on trunk. I'm honestly not sure about
the filter files - will check on that going forward.

A.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 August 2011 19:25, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...and I should add that I'm, again, +1 binding. =)

AIUI that's only binding as far as the Bigtop PPMC (podling PMC) is concerned.

You don't seem to be on the Incubator PMC, which is what is required
for binding votes on a release.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
+1 Non-binding.  I appreciate Eric's concerns, but we are releasing
Bigtop project here,
not the artifacts it is capable of producing. That said, settling on
an appropriate (and
configurable!) naming convention for packages would be a really high priority
for us in coming weeks.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1  Checksums & signatures are correct and RAT reports no serious problems.

Doug