Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Brian Jeltema <br...@digitalenvoy.net> on 2014/06/20 17:05:33 UTC

reading from non-string partitions

I have defined a table that is partitioned on a value of type int.

The ReadEntity.Builder.withPartition method accepts a Map<String, String> object
to define the partition to read. I assumed that I had to convert the
int to a string to create the map, and that it would be automatically converted
back to the correct type by the ReadEntity.

However, my partition selection is ignored, and when I read the partition column value
from a record returned by the ReadEntity, I have to read it as a string, even though
a ‘describe table’ describes the field as an int.

How is this supposed to work?

TIA
Brian