Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com> on 2005/05/14 11:15:06 UTC

Deprecating components

Hi,

I am thinking it would be useful to add support to Tapestry for
deprecating components, so that we can provide a clear migration path
for changing components.  It can imagine it would be useful to be able
to deprecate an entire component and/or individual component parameters,
and have Tapestry display a warning when such components/parameters are
constructed.  It would probably be desirable to be able to disable those
warning messages, perhaps via a system property.  Off the top of my
head, it might look like this:

Foo.jwc:
<component-specification ...>
    <deprecated message="Use the simpler Bar component instead of Foo"/>

    <parameter name="something">
        <deprecated message="Use somethingElse parameter"/>

e.g. there is a thread on the -user list at the moment about merging
Insert and InsertText.  If deemed a good idea, it would be nice to
deprecate the InsertText component, leaving it in Tapestry 4, and
removing it from the next significant release.

Any thoughts?

Richard

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, using an alias will generate some kind of warning (on the console).

On 5/18/05, Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com> wrote:
> parameter aliases would be implicitly deprecated right?
>
> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > I've also been thinking about having a list of "aliases" for parameters, for
> > when we want to give them better names.
> >
> > On 5/15/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I've been thinking about this too; including a deprecation service that
> >>would log the deprecation warnings ... but just once, so you don't get
> >>flooded.

> >>--
> >>Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >>Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> >>Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> >>Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >>
> >>Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> >>and project work. http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com>.

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
> I've been thinking about this too; including a deprecation service that
> would log the deprecation warnings ... but just once, so you don't get
> flooded.

> I've also been thinking about having a list of "aliases" for parameters,
for
> when we want to give them better names.

+1 to both. Would be very helpful and would definitely make some changes
easier.

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Robert Zeigler <rd...@u.arizona.edu>.
The ability to deprecate parameter names in favor of "better" names is
fine, and doing this would probably require an "alias" ability... I
think that the two should be used in tandem, though. Having the ability
to alias a parameter name could get messy, otherwise.

Robert

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Deprecating components

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I've been thinking about this too; including a deprecation service that
would log the deprecation warnings ... but just once, so you don't get
flooded.

On 5/14/05, Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> wrote:

> I like this idea. It would definitely be useful.
>
> Jamie
>

> On May 14, 2005, at 5:15 AM, Richard Lewis-Shell wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am thinking it would be useful to add support to Tapestry for
> > deprecating components, so that we can provide a clear migration path
> > for changing components. It can imagine it would be useful to be able
> > to deprecate an entire component and/or individual component
> > parameters, and have Tapestry display a warning when such
> > components/parameters are constructed. It would probably be desirable
> > to be able to disable those warning messages, perhaps via a system
> > property. Off the top of my head, it might look like this:
> >
> > Foo.jwc:
> > <component-specification ...>
> > <deprecated message="Use the simpler Bar component instead of Foo"/>
> >
> > <parameter name="something">
> > <deprecated message="Use somethingElse parameter"/>

> > e.g. there is a thread on the -user list at the moment about merging
> > Insert and InsertText. If deemed a good idea, it would be nice to
> > deprecate the InsertText component, leaving it in Tapestry 4, and
> > removing it from the next significant release.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Richard

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry