Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt> on 2004/09/03 17:21:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Running Apache under daemontools

Hi,

I have this server running Zope with Apache doing ReverseProxying and
VirtualHosting.
Also, it serves static and dynamic PHP sites.

Since about a month ago, Apache dies every 2 or 3 days, and i can't find
the reason.
Since i'm not willing to reinstall the server, i thought that using
djbdns daemontools with Apache would be a good idea.

I've googled a lot, saw that this is possible, but found no concret info.

Does anyone here has Apache running under daemontools that can give me a
hand ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito

Re: AW: [users@httpd] Running Apache under daemontools

Posted by Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt>.
Hi Steffen,

Thank you.
That is a real good advice indeed.

Think i'll put back my laziness today and recompile the last version.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

Re: [users@httpd] Running Apache under daemontools

Posted by Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt>.
Hi Jim,

Yes, i'm aware that daemontools is not an elegant way to solve the issue.
My system is a SuSE 9.0, with Apache 1.3.29 compiled by me with mod_php,
mod_ssl and mod_perl.

The last error i got before my Apache last death is this one:

"[Mon Aug 23 20:48:17 2004] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed: HTTP
spoken on HTTPS port; trying to send HTML error page
  (OpenSSL library error follows)
[Mon Aug 23 20:48:17 2004] [error] OpenSSL: error:1407609C:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:http request [Hint: speaking
  HTTP to HTTPS port!?]

Is this enough to kill Apache ?
I got a lot of these and Apache doesn't die.

I would blame SuSEs' compiler.
It is a real crap. I can't even compile mod_rewrite with it.

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting Mário Gamito <ga...@netual.pt>:

> Hi,
>
> I have this server running Zope with Apache doing ReverseProxying and
> VirtualHosting.
> Also, it serves static and dynamic PHP sites.
>
> Since about a month ago, Apache dies every 2 or 3 days, and i can't find
> the reason.
> Since i'm not willing to reinstall the server, i thought that using
> djbdns daemontools with Apache would be a good idea.
>
> I've googled a lot, saw that this is possible, but found no concret info.
>
> Does anyone here has Apache running under daemontools that can give me a
> hand ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Note that i have never done this, and really have no idea how.  But keep in
mind, this should not be the ultimate solution.  The best thing to do is find
out why apache is crashing, not install a program that just restarts it
when it
does crash.  With that said, there are many knowledgeable people on this list
who im sure would be able to offer some insight as to why apache dies if you
provide some more information (system specs, apache version, your particular
config, etc).

Jim