Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Eliot Kimber <ek...@contrext.com> on 2018/07/17 11:48:59 UTC

How to Set Up XPath/XQuery With Latest POI and XMLBeans Using Maven?

I'm starting a new POI-based maven project.

I'm converting XML into DOCX and I'm using XMLBeans to navigate my incoming XML.

Everything is working great but...

Now I want to use some XPath and XQuery with my XmlCursor and I'm unable to work out the right Maven dependency incantations in order to get a working system.

I'm using the following dependencies:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
      <artifactId>poi</artifactId>
      <version>3.17</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
      <artifactId>poi-ooxml</artifactId>
      <version>3.17</version>
    </dependency>
   <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.xmlbeans</groupId>
	    <artifactId>xmlbeans</artifactId>
	    <version>3.0.0</version>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
	    <groupId>net.sf.saxon</groupId>
	    <artifactId>Saxon-HE</artifactId>
	    <version>9.8.0-12</version>
	</dependency>

I'm pretty sure I need the separate xmlbeans-xpath library but the only thing I can find in the Maven repo is 2.6.0 which dates from 2012 and if I include that dependency the fetch fails because it can't find the ancient Saxon library it's expecting.

If I run my code:

cursor.selectPath("*:cols/*:col");

With the above dependencies then I get this failure, not surprisingly:

java.lang.RuntimeException:  Trying XBeans path engine... Trying XQRL... Trying XDK... Trying delegated path engine... FAILED on *:cols/*:col

So my question is:

With POI 3.0.0 and using Maven, what do I need to do to get XPath/XQuery support working?

Perhaps a better question might be: what would be involved in binding XmlBeans to Saxon 9.8.*? If it's not too much work that's probably something I can do and contribute back to the project. It would be nice, for example, to be able to use XPath/XQuery 3 in this context.

Thanks,

Eliot
--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

Re: How to Set Up XPath/XQuery With Latest POI and XMLBeans Using Maven?

Posted by Eliot Kimber <ek...@contrext.com>.
Thanks--I'll take a look. Should be easy enough to update the Saxon API usage (he said without actually looking at the code...)

Cheers,

E.

--
Eliot Kimber
http://contrext.com

On 7/17/18, 1:17 PM, "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    When we release xmlbeans 3.0.0, we didn't release a new version of
    xmlbeans-xpath jar. The 2.6.0 version of xmlbeans-xpath should work ok with
    xmlbeans 3.0.0. The Saxon dependency that it has is old though.
    It was built with
    https://master.dl.sourceforge.net/project/saxon/OldFiles/9.0/9.0.0.4/saxonb9-0-0-4j.zip

    This is documented at https://xmlbeans.apache.org/download/index.html

    If you want to try building an xmlbeans-xpath jar for yourself that uses a
    newer saxon jar, look at the link above and download the xmlbeans source
    from svn. You can modify the build.xml to change the URL for the saxon
    download.

Re: How to Set Up XPath/XQuery With Latest POI and XMLBeans Using Maven?