Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by mehmet hacısalihoğlu <es...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/24 05:45:29 UTC

Which is better Openstack sync or async connect to swift servers?

Hi,

We use openstack sync connect to our cloud storage programs. Which is
better Openstack sync or async connect to swift servers?
What are your advices?

Thanks.

Re: Which is better Openstack sync or async connect to swift servers?

Posted by mehmet hacısalihoğlu <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Could you help me please?

Thanks.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi, there.

Say you have a command that performs an operation.. This would be
synchronous, or more specifically blocking.

If you want to make a java method call not block your calling thread, you
can use a concurrent tool or an asynchronous library.  jclouds formerly
supported Future to achieve this, but is dropping this, for many reasons.
 Later releases will probably introduce a callback model for a limited
amount of commands.

In the mean time, treat jclouds as you do any other java calls wrt making
commands async.

For example, if the method returns Foo, you could make a Callable<Foo> and
submit that to an executor (check out java concurrency in practice for the
myriad of ways
http://www.amazon.com/Java-Concurrency-Practice-Brian-Goetz/dp/0321349601).
 Guava has many tools to help with this, too (ex.
https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/wiki/ListenableFutureExplained).

There are also a number of async libraries including reactor, rxjava, etc
which expose classes and interfaces for asynchronous programming.

hope this helps,
-A

Posted by mehmet hacısalihoğlu <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,