Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> on 2006/02/07 17:16:56 UTC

[users@httpd] 403 Forbidden Error

I have hit a wall in trying to eliminate a 403 error, and I am hoping
someone can show me the error of my ways.  My server configuration is
Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) PHP/4.4.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.7i.

If I attempt to go to a directory on my web server, such as /test/, I
get Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /test/ on this
server.  Now, if I try to go to a file within that directory, such as
/test/test.txt, the .txt file will display in my browser.

In my httpd.conf file, I have a line that reads Options +Indexes
FollowSymLinks.  After reading the FAQ, I made certain that I had the
following entered.

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Files>

The user that originally configured this setup a virtual host conf file,
located at /conf/sites/myconf.conf.  The last line of httpd.conf
includes a reference (via *.conf) to this file.  Inside the myconf.conf
file, I have a line that reads Options +Indexes ExecCGI IncludesNoExec.

mod_autoindex is a loaded module in my Apache configuration.  The
permissions on the /test/ directory that I cannot access are the same as
a directory hosting PHP code, and the PHP code is working with Apache.

If anyone can provide insight as to why I would be getting a 403 error
trying to access a directory, such as /test/, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

-Jonathan

Re: [users@httpd] 403 Forbidden Error

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:

> More importantly - if the debug level isn't logging these errors, what
> is going on?

There are certain error conditions that don't result in an error log
entry.  These are less common in more recent version, but may still
occur.  Usually, forbidden errors that don't write anything to the log
are caused by unix permissions problems.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] 403 Forbidden Error

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
Thanks for the link.  Alas, I still have the problem I reported.  :-(

-Jonathan

Posted by ht...@karsites.net.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:
>

>>Joshua Slive wrote:

>>>The first thing to look at is the error_log.  No point in doing any
>>>further debugging before knowing exactly what it says in there.
>>>

>>Ah, yes.  Unfortunately, I already looked there and did not find
>>anything.
>>

>Check the unix permissions on the directory and the index.html file
>within the directory.

The unix permissions are the same as the directory containing my PHP
code (which is working).  There is no index.html file in the directory.
I thought that mod_autoindex being active, in conjunction with the
Indexes option, would result in Apache auto-generating a directory
listing.  Is this not correct?

-Jonathan

Re: [users@httpd] 403 Forbidden Error

Posted by ht...@karsites.net.
Are you running it as root user?
if not, open a root shell, and try again.

Re: [users@httpd] DirectoryIndex in *.conf WAS 403 Forbidden Error

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
Thank you to Joshua and everyone else that contributed to this thread.
Not only did I learn a new Terminal command (ktrace), but I also solved
the problem and have a slightly better understanding of how Apache
recommends *.conf files be laid out.  It turns out the one that was
setup for us previously worked, but it certainly didn't have the Apache
recommended format.

Cheers!

-Jonathan

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>DirectoryIndex and Options Indexes do not override each other.  They
>are complementary.

That's what I initially thought.

>I strongly suspect that you have a simple config or unix permissions
>problem.

It must be config, because the unix permissions are correct.

>  But there is not much that can be done at this point unless
>you can use basic debugging tools.

You mean ktrace?  Perhaps this is enough data from ktrace to determine
what isn't going on?

   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test/index.shtml"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
   528 httpd    CALL  stat(0x18f44f8,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test/index.html"
   528 httpd    RET   stat -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45c0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat 0
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45c0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat 0
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45c0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat 0
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45c0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat 0
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45c0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test/index.html"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
   528 httpd    CALL  stat(0x18f44e0,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test/index.php"
   528 httpd    RET   stat -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
   528 httpd    CALL  lstat(0x18f45a8,0xbffff4a8)
   528 httpd    NAMI  "/Library"
   528 httpd    RET   lstat 0
[...]
   528 httpd    CALL  sigprocmask(0x1,0,0x1179e64)
   528 httpd    RET   sigprocmask 0
   528 httpd    CALL  write(0x8,0xbfff9648,0x85)
   528 httpd    GIO   fd 8 wrote 133 bytes
       "[Tue Feb 07 16:00:14 2006] [error] [client 198.65.202.94]
Directory in\
        dex forbidden by rule: /Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/test/
       "
   528 httpd    RET   write 133/0x85
   528 httpd    CALL  read(0xd,0x18db228,0x1f40)
   528 httpd    RET   read -1 errno 35 Resource temporarily unavailable
   528 httpd    CALL  writev(0xd,0xbfffd790,0x2)
   528 httpd    GIO   fd 13 wrote 594 bytes
       "HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden\r
        Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:00:14 GMT\r
        Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) PHP/4.4.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55
OpenSSL/0.9.7i\r
        \r
        <title>403 Forbidden</title>
        </head><body>
        <h1>Forbidden</h1>
        on this server.</p>
        <hr>
        <address>Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) PHP/4.4.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55
OpenSSL/0.9.7i \
        Server at clients.nutmegaudiopost.com Port 80</address>
       "
   528 httpd    RET   writev 594/0x252
   528 httpd    CALL  write(0xc,0x18e5018,0xaa)
   528 httpd    GIO   fd 12 wrote 170 bytes
       "a.b.c.d - - [07/Feb/2006:16:00:14 -0500] "GET /test/ HTTP/1.1" 4\
        03 338 "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US;
rv:1.8)\
         Gecko/20051229 Camino/1.0b2"
       "
   528 httpd    RET   write 170/0xaa
   528 httpd    CALL  getrusage(0,0xbffff890)
   528 httpd    RET   getrusage 0
   528 httpd    CALL  getrusage(0xffffffff,0xbffff890)
   528 httpd    RET   getrusage 0
   528 httpd    CALL
select(0xe,0xbffff430,0xbffff4b0,0xbffff530,0xbffff428)
   390 httpd    RET   select 0
   390 httpd    CALL  wait4(0xffffffff,0xbffffa78,0x3,0)
   390 httpd    RET   wait4 0
   390 httpd    CALL  select(0,0,0,0,0xbffffa78)
   390 httpd    RET   select 0
   390 httpd    CALL  wait4(0xffffffff,0xbffffa78,0x3,0)
   390 httpd    RET   wait4 0
   390 httpd    CALL  select(0,0,0,0,0xbffffa78)
   390 httpd    RET   select 0
   390 httpd    CALL  wait4(0xffffffff,0xbffffa78,0x3,0)
   390 httpd    RET   wait4 0
   390 httpd    CALL  select(0,0,0,0,0xbffffa78)
   390 httpd    RET   select 0
   390 httpd    CALL  wait4(0xffffffff,0xbffffa78,0x3,0)
   390 httpd    RET   wait4 0
   390 httpd    CALL  select(0,0,0,0,0xbffffa78)
   390 httpd    RET   select 0
   390 httpd    CALL  wait4(0xffffffff,0xbffffa78,0x3,0)
   390 httpd    RET   wait4 0
   390 httpd    CALL  select(0,0,0,0,0xbffffa78)

>  (One additional thing that might
>be useful to see is an "ls -la" from inside the problem directory.)

-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin admin 16 Feb 7 13:05 index.txt
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin admin 14 Jan 19 12:32 stats.php

Thanks for your patience!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:
> I have had a breakthrough, though I do not have a solution yet.  In my
> .conf file, there is a line that reads
>
> DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.shtml.
>
> Beneath that line, later in the .conf file, I have this:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/
>     <Directory /Library/WebServer/new_FTP-Server/>
>       AllowOverride None
>       Options Indexes ExecCGI IncludesNoExec
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>     </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> So, what I believe is going on here is this.  Even though I have a line
> that reads "Options Indexes" inside the <Directory> tags, which are
> inside the <VirtualHost> tags, the DirectoryIndex line at the top of the
> .conf file is overriding the "Options Indexes" later in the file.  Could
> this be?  If so, why?  If the DirectoryIndex line should not (or does
> not) override the "Options Indexes" line later in the file, then I guess
> I am back at the original problem.

DirectoryIndex and Options Indexes do not override each other.  They
are complementary.

I strongly suspect that you have a simple config or unix permissions
problem.  But there is not much that can be done at this point unless
you can use basic debugging tools.  (One additional thing that might

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
[...]

Thanks for your help everyone!

-Jonathan

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>[Back to the list.]
>
>On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:
>

>>The unix permissions are the same as the directory containing my PHP
>>code (which is working).  There is no index.html file in the directory.
>>I thought that mod_autoindex being active, in conjunction with the
>>Indexes option, would result in Apache auto-generating a directory
>>listing.  Is this not correct?
>>

>Can you show us the "ls -la" of the directory?

drwxrwxrwx 11 admin admin 374 Mar 18 2005 mwftp
drwxrwxrwx   5 admin admin 170 Feb 7 13:05 test

mwftp contains the PHP code that is running properly in Apache, test is
a directory whose contents I cannot get a list of with Apache.

>Are you using SELinux?

Mac OS X v10.4.4 Tiger Server.

>  Is it properly configured?

As far as I can tell it is.  I am trying to add new functionality
(directory listings).

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
[Back to the list.]

On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:
> The unix permissions are the same as the directory containing my PHP
> code (which is working).  There is no index.html file in the directory.
> I thought that mod_autoindex being active, in conjunction with the
> Indexes option, would result in Apache auto-generating a directory
> listing.  Is this not correct?

Can you show us the "ls -la" of the directory?

Are you using SELinux?  Is it properly configured?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j....@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:

> If I attempt to go to a directory on my web server, such as /test/, I
> get Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /test/ on this
> server.  Now, if I try to go to a file within that directory, such as
> /test/test.txt, the .txt file will display in my browser.

The first thing to look at is the error_log.  No point in doing any
further debugging before knowing exactly what it says in there.

> In my httpd.conf file, I have a line that reads Options +Indexes
> FollowSymLinks.

Do not mix + and non-+ Options.  Try
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

> After reading the FAQ, I made certain that I had the
> following entered.
>
> <Files ~ "^\.ht">
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Files>

Where in the FAQ did you see that?  That has nothing to do with your