Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Pradhuman Jhala <Pr...@fox.com> on 2008/12/05 02:11:23 UTC

mahout & hadoop compatibility

Just wondering if Mahout is compatible with hadoop-0.18 (and later) versions.  As in hadoop version 0.18 onwards, the combiner execution policy has changed and now it gets executed  twice - first from Mapper side (on the output of  Mapper) and then again on the Reducer side (on the output of first Combiner).

For more details: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226>

It seems me that the kmean and canopy clustering in Mahout assumes that the combiner gets executed on Mapper side only and it's a major source of error, as when the Combiner gets executed on the Reducer side, it can not parse the output of first Combiner correctly.

To fix, only for hadoop-0.18.*, if you want to use combiner only on the output of mapper (like earlier hadoop versions), add the following to your job config:

job.setCombineOnlyOnce(true);

This method (setCombineOnlyOnce) is not available in hadoop-0.19 release, so I think Mahout code needs to be changed to take care of this issue.

Pradhuman

RE: mahout & hadoop compatibility

Posted by "Palleti, Pallavi" <pa...@corp.aol.com>.
Sorry for the late reply. The issue number is 99. Please have a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-99

Thanks
Pallavi

Yeah, it should work with 0.18, with a few patches to fix the Combiner
issue, if you are using the k-Means clustering stuff.  I committed one
of them, but forget the Issue numbers (Pallavi?)  Have a look in JIRA.

On Dec 4, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Pradhuman Jhala wrote:

> Just wondering if Mahout is compatible with hadoop-0.18 (and later)
> versions.  As in hadoop version 0.18 onwards, the combiner execution
> policy has changed and now it gets executed  twice - first from
> Mapper side (on the output of  Mapper) and then again on the Reducer
> side (on the output of first Combiner).
>
> For more details: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226
<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226

> It seems me that the kmean and canopy clustering in Mahout assumes
> that the combiner gets executed on Mapper side only and it's a major
> source of error, as when the Combiner gets executed on the Reducer
> side, it can not parse the output of first Combiner correctly.
>
> To fix, only for hadoop-0.18.*, if you want to use combiner only on
> the output of mapper (like earlier hadoop versions), add the
> following to your job config:
>
> job.setCombineOnlyOnce(true);
>
> This method (setCombineOnlyOnce) is not available in hadoop-0.19
> release, so I think Mahout code needs to be changed to take care of
> this issue.
>
> Pradhuman

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: mahout & hadoop compatibility

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Yeah, it should work with 0.18, with a few patches to fix the Combiner
issue, if you are using the k-Means clustering stuff.  I committed one
of them, but forget the Issue numbers (Pallavi?)  Have a look in JIRA.

On Dec 4, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Pradhuman Jhala wrote:

> Just wondering if Mahout is compatible with hadoop-0.18 (and later)
> versions.  As in hadoop version 0.18 onwards, the combiner execution
> policy has changed and now it gets executed  twice - first from
> Mapper side (on the output of  Mapper) and then again on the Reducer
> side (on the output of first Combiner).
>
> For more details: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3226
> >

> It seems me that the kmean and canopy clustering in Mahout assumes
> that the combiner gets executed on Mapper side only and it's a major
> source of error, as when the Combiner gets executed on the Reducer
> side, it can not parse the output of first Combiner correctly.
>
> To fix, only for hadoop-0.18.*, if you want to use combiner only on
> the output of mapper (like earlier hadoop versions), add the
> following to your job config:
>
> job.setCombineOnlyOnce(true);
>
> This method (setCombineOnlyOnce) is not available in hadoop-0.19
> release, so I think Mahout code needs to be changed to take care of
> this issue.
>
> Pradhuman

Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints: