Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 21:08:43 UTC

Re: IMAP status

On 10/25/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> I had suggested JavaMail, but when we all did further looking, it was
> observed that JavaMail is not efficient for server storage, it would tie us
> to JavaMail, and worse to MimeMessage.  We really want a store that deals
> with streams, from which we can easily construct a MimeMessage on demand,
> but can also use MIME4J without the overhead --- and parsing issues --- of
> the MimeMessage class.
>
> If those are solvable within the context of using JavaMail for server-side
> storage, fine.  Alternatively, if we have a data store that works for us and
> can be put underneath JavaMail when/if we want to use JavaMail, that's fine,
> too.
>
> Might we move this discussion to server-dev@?  :-)

Yes it would tie us to JavaMail, but we are already tied to JavaMail.
We are already inefficient, so no sense (IMO) of at least taking
advantage of what the API offers.

IMHO what JavaMail is inefficient at is parsing and loading messages.
Conversely what this proposal entails is using for what JavaMail is
better (not great) at, i.e., working as a client to a mail store.

MIME4J is nowhere ready to be a replacement.  It is a read-only API
last I checked.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: IMAP status

Posted by Scott Carr <sc...@progbits.com>.
Comments inline.

Joe Cheng wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>
>> MIME4J is nowhere ready to be a replacement.  It is a read-only API
>> last I checked.
>>

> Noel, you said on server-users@ that you thought IMAP allowed
> modification of Messages (using your definition).  To my knowledge,
> this is not the case (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  What
> IMAP does allow you to do is add new messages to a mailbox, which POP
> of course does not.  On already existing messages you can only change
> flags which fall under Mail, not Message.
You are correct.  With the APPEND command, you can add new messages to a
specific Mailbox.  The way some systems make it look like changing a
message is by APPEND'ing a message with all the same data including
changes, and deleting the previous one.

I have been thinking of using this feature to create an IMAPNotes
program that would allow storage of Notes with Edit/Delete/New
functionality using IMAP as the store.  JavaMail does make this feature
look as though it is editing the same message though so I can understand
the confusion.

--
Scott Carr
OpenOffice.org

Re: IMAP status

Posted by Joe Cheng <co...@joecheng.com>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:

>MIME4J is nowhere ready to be a replacement.  It is a read-only API
>last I checked.

Noel, you said on server-users@ that you thought IMAP allowed
modification of Messages (using your definition).  To my knowledge, this
is not the case (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  What IMAP
does allow you to do is add new messages to a mailbox, which POP of
course does not.  On already existing messages you can only change flags
which fall under Mail, not Message.

That's why when working on my own IMAP server I didn't feel the need to
make MIME4J support message mutation--it's only even needed in James for
mailets, which was out of scope for my project.

If mailets only apply during the delivery phase, could you just use
JavaMail at that point (for the mailets that needed it) and then MIME4J
everywhere else?