Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/21 07:38:40 UTC

[Discuss] ApacheCon '09 Geronimo Track: Content

I had an IRC chat with Emmanuel Lecharny from Apache Directory. We
decided that Geronimo would use the 3 afternoon talks and Directory
will hold the two morning talks.

IIUC, this means we'll have the following time slots:

2:30-3:20     Session 1
3:20-4:00     Break
4:00-4:50     Session 2
5:00-5:50     Session 3

I think the first few minutes of Session 1 will be used as an
introduction and preview of the track. Since a Break follows Session
1, we could easily run 10 minutes over, without causing tremendous
hardship to anyone. So, we should have room for 3 full sessions.

That leaves the hard task of choosing. I have my thoughts and will
follow up on this email thread...

Proposals are:

Blueprint Container Specification and Geornimo -- Jarek
Geronimo Custom Server Assemblies -- David J
JPA 2.0 Specification and Geronimo -- Donald
Administering Apache Geronimo 2.x -- Vamsi
Securing Java EE 5.0 Applications with Apache Geronimo -- Vamsi
Load Balancing and high-availability with Geronimo clusters -- Vamsi

--kevan

Re: [Discuss] ApacheCon '09 Geronimo Track: Content

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Was thinking Session #1 would cover all the new features/changes in 2.2.

Didn't we just recently change how security is setup or made some
significant changes around JACC/JASPI?

-Donald

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
I agree that clustering would be a great topic to cover! Might also mention
some performance tuning options together with it?

-Jack

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
This sounds like a good mix to me.

And, even though the agenda for #1 doesn't 'officially' include all of
the new features in 2.2 - that doesn't mean that questions couldn't be
taken and answered later.  If we ran through a list of the new features
at the beginning of the session, then that could pique peoples interest
to follow up later.

Jay

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 21, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Maybe we can create a mashup of the proposals to cover the following:
>
> Session 1 - Geronimo 2.2 topics (current user community)
> 		Administering Geronimo
> 		Custom Server Assemblies
> 		Securing Apps
> 		Load balancing and high-availability
> Would expect this session would contain more than we could cover in
> 50 minutes, but we should introduce each topic and include pointers
> to the online docs that users could reference later for more details.

That's too much for a single session, IMO. IIRC, at least one of the
presentation topics was given at ApacheCon, last year. So, I'd want it
to be more focused.

> Session 2 - Blueprint Container Spec and Geronimo
>
> Session 3 - Geronimo 3.0 and Java EE 6 (futures)
> 		Geronimo 3.0 based on OSGi
> 		Current milestone features
> 		Present how much of Web Profile is available
> 			JPA 2.0, EJB 3.1, Servlet 3.0, ...
> 		How to start using 3.0 builds

Certainly possible. I currently tend towards my initial thoughts. But
would like to hear other's thoughts.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I definitely agree that we need some theme for the afternoon and talking
about the future (especially for Geronimo where things will be changing
a fair amount) is always a good choice.

I'm not sure if there was an implied order below ... but I would
recommend the following:
1) Custom Server Assemblies (with a strong emphasis on current Geronimo
architecture and the move to OSGi .... IMHO this sets the stage well for
Blueprint).
2) Blueprint Container Specification and Geronimo
3) JPA 2.0 Specification (I agree it would be best to include general
EE6 outlook).

Great suggestions everybody ... wish I could attend ApacheCon!

Joe