Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2004/11/01 09:14:23 UTC

Re: Proposition: Twister WS-BPEL engine and Apache Agila

On Oct 29, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Paul Russell wrote:

> Guys,
>
> On 26 Oct 2004, at 09:02, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 2004, at 3:27 AM, Matthieu Riou wrote:
>>> Very practically,  what is the conclusion of this discussion ? :)
>> Not sure if one is required.  I don't think solving the TLP problem
>> is a good idea now because we're going to learn a lot more as time
>> goes on.  I'm optimistic that we'll go that way at the end, but lets
>> decide that later.  If we have enough size and strength to be a TLP,
>> we do it.  If not, we don't. Until then, lets try and build some
>> really great software and a great community.
>> I do think that working to have BPEL implementation at the ASF is a
>> great idea, and while I'm 100% committed to seeing it a part of
>> Agila, it doesn't have to only be in Agila.  For example, we could
>> have a BPEL engine as part of the project that can be used standalone
>> or inside Agila.
>
> Indeed! I might have missed some mails on this (personal
> infrastructure problems -- was dropping lots of mails the beginning
> half of this week), so forgive me if I'm covering old ground, but I'd
> advocate a 'test and learn' approach here -- Why don't we incubate the
> two projects separately for a while. It'll become obvious if they
> should be merged or not, and I can't see any reason why merging two
> projects in the incubator would be a problem?
>
> Does that seem reasonable, or am I being dumb?

I'd do it the other way :)  We'd have better strength in numbers as a
community, and we don't have to glom the codebases together, so neither
identity is "lost" to the other.  We can always split later....

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Proposition: Twister WS-BPEL engine and Apache Agila

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I agree with that. And if that's the choice, the two codebases
should be merged ASAP too. The more we wait, the more painful the
merging will be. I wouldn't like having to throw away half of
Twister's code in the process...